Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,094 Posts
Shellac is best, and I've never seen a Yamaha sax - student or pro model - where shellac hasn't been used for pads.

Buffet and Selmer use hot glue, but that's no reason to use it, though I've seen Selmer Referrence saxes where pads have been installed with shellac.

Yanagisawa also use shellac.

· Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,082 Posts
I think the only reason that glue-stick glue is used is that it is a lot more straightforward to use in mass production. Unfortunately, those manufacturers who use it often cover only a small part of the back of the pad, hence not providing a solid, accurate foundation for the pad. This in turn causes a whole heap of adjustment problems well into the instrument's life.

It is common for a technician to spend a lot of time trying to get a pad to close reliably, only to eventually replace it and discover that the problem was a tiny blob of glue, providing adhesion but no solid foundation across the entire back of the pad.

IMO adjusting a Yanagisawa sax is bliss after a modern Selmer!

· Distinguished SOTW Member
4,518 Posts
I have only seen rubbery hot-glue on French and Chinese saxes. German and Japanese still seem to use shellac (as do I).

I agree about Yanis being a joy to work on...the new ones generally only need neck fitting and spring lightening.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.