Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious as to what Yamaha players know about the after market necks for the pro line. I want to pair a YTS 52 with a pro neck.

What recommendations and suggestions might Yamaha players have to offer?

Is anybody using this combination?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
442 Posts
For alto I have a G1, G1 Gold Plated, older Phil Barone , and the V1. All play well, but the V1 out plays them all!

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
For alto I have a G1, G1 Gold Plated, older Phil Barone , and the V1. All play well, but the V1 out plays them all!
You can buy the Yamaha V1 necks at yamaha24x7.com at a better price than other online suppliers. You need to be sure to order the octave key, logo insert, flat spring, spring screw, and rod separately since they don't come with the neck like when you order a YAS-23 neck which comes complete.

·
Registered
534 Posts
You can buy the Yamaha V1 necks at yamaha24x7.com at a better price than other online suppliers. You need to be sure to order the octave key, logo insert, flat spring, spring screw, and rod separately since they don't come with the neck like when you order a YAS-23 neck which comes complete.
Are you logging in as a dealer or consumer for buying parts?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,133 Posts
Tenor Mattness knows a lot about this topic.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I can't find the necks on here. I created a consumer account, then am presented with a part number search. Unfortunately there's no keyword search, so I've been striking out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,109 Posts
I can't find the necks on here. I created a consumer account, then am presented with a part number search. Unfortunately there's no keyword search, so I've been striking out.
I'm guessing Saxoclese or another tech who uses the site frequently has a more seamless approach, but here's how I (a new user) found the gold lacquer version of the V1. I started by searching "YAS" in the 'model number' box, then selected "YAS-82Z(2)" from the list. This pops open a list of parts AND a schematic you can use to see the number associated with the part. In this case "39" which leads you to part number "WV141800" which is: NECK ASSY. V1 GOLD LAC YAS-875EX. I have no idea how to find different finishes... :) Also note ( as Saxoclese mentions above) that is not the complete neck, you will need to order the associated parts.

OR

give them a ring at the number provided in the "contact us" section. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
There has been a history of issues with this vendor scattered across the boards history.
I dont know if it has changed.
I have no personal experience but I keep my ear to the ground. Do your homework and dont buy unprotected.
I personally have not had a problem with them but another good option is Sax Alley. Also a good price.
http://www.saxalley.com/yamaha-v1-tenor-neck.html

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Try Pro Winds. Lowest price I have seen for fully assembled neck.
https://www.prowinds.com/product/5680/Sax_Necks_and_Thumb_Rests
The latest prices from the Yamaha 24x7 site are $253.68 for the alto V1 and $290.48 for the tenor V1. Prowinds prices are $295 and $369 Sax Alley prices are $296 and $372. None of these prices include sales tax. Shipping is free from Yamaha on orders over $50. I don't know about the other vendors.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am going to start with the V1 UL because I am going to have the body stripped bare when it gets an overhaul next month.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The latest prices from the Yamaha 24x7 site are $253.68 for the alto V1 and $290.48 for the tenor V1. Prowinds prices are $295 and $369 Sax Alley prices are $296 and $372. None of these prices include sales tax. Shipping is free from Yamaha on orders over $50. I don't know about the other vendors.
I did not see a complete neck option. I added up the parts and the total was higher than you mention. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
Early 70's Yamaha YTS-21 with a 10MFan Classic 7* 'piece and whatever reed is in the case
124 Posts
Tenor Mattness knows a lot about this topic.
When Tenor Madness took a look at my YTS-21 they mentioned that a simple neck change along with a mouthpiece upgrade can totally transform the sound of the horn. Considering the amount of time they spent with this newbie, I'd recommend a conversation with them. Once I get the pads replaced along with some other mods (solder the bell) to the horn, I will have the neck upgrade on the radar.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,133 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to SOTW member “tenor mattness“.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Putting a G3 gold lacquer neck on a YTS-23 was amazing for me. Fuller, darker, and with even better intonation. Transformed a basic vanilla horn into a secret weapon!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
This has been rehashed quite a few times. It happens though!

The G1 is the most 'open' of all the necks. It was designed to have a spread tone and offer a lot of versatility. Some players also find they have poor intonation - I didn't have that experience with either model but there is something about the G1 I just found clumsy. Some players still prefer the G1 though including Jeff Coffin so don't discount it. Anyway, the G1 was original equipment I believe for the Custom 875, the EX for a short time, and the Z for most of its run.

Next up is the V1, which Yamaha designed to replace the G1 and resolve the common complaints Yamaha was hearing, and the majority of players seem to think it worked. Tone-wise it seems very similar but it feels a bit more precise and refined than the G1. The V1 is original equipment for the Z-II (and the EX-II I'm told?).

Next up would be the G3, and the E1 which I have contacted Yamaha about and been told directly that they are basically the same neck with a new name. My playing experience supports that. They are your middle-of-the-road neck, with a nicely balanced sound and good flexibility. The G3 was original for most of the EX run and the 62 models whenever they picked up the Custom necks, and Z's with them aren't unheard of. A few late EX's also shipped with the E1.

The C1 is more focused still. Yamaha implies it sacrifices some flexibility to achieve that but I found that sacrifice was very small; mostly it was just that the center tone is more focused and a bit brighter than the E1/G3. It also seemed to lend itself a little bit better to quieter dynamics and cut off the high dynamics slightly quieter, probably owing to being a wee bit more resistant but the difference was very small. AFAIK these are strictly aftermarket, not original to anything, and they are consequently unpopular, but I think a lot of legit players after the modern concert sax tone paradigm would really appreciate the C1 for the super clean feel it gives.

The M1 is the most focused, though not much more than the C1. I only played one briefly but it was a very compact and clear sound, and did not seem to have quite as much tone color flexibility as the others. This was original equipment for the short-lived Custom 855 alto.

I have never had an F1 so I don't know where it falls here.

None of these differences are huge though, and most are on the player end. Your typical listener might notice the difference if you A/B'd a C1 against a G1, but comparing a G3/E1 to a V1 is subtle even to the player.
Your 52 might need the octave key extended to reach the lever on a Custom neck. This should be an easy job for a tech though.
Don't know what's going on with ordering parts though. I can easily find Yamaha necks on various instrument dealer sites, and I can't imagine prices being better direct from Yamaha. Why not just buy from WWBW or Weiner, or used?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts