Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has tried this combination. P.Mauriat doesn't offer much for alternative necks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,767 Posts
It is well known that putting a premium neck on a different sax can sometimes make a big difference, but don't limit your experiment to Yamaha.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,488 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I would have but as I remember (it's been a few years) when I went to try the Yamaha neck on my Sys-76 tenor the bore of the Mauriat was much larger. The tenon from the Yamaha wasn't just loose but rattled around so there was an actual gap that I felt was going to be too much trouble to try and fill by taping and I didn't want to have my Yamaha neck resized. You might want to contact Sax Alley and see what they have. They often have some Yamaha necks in stock as well as a few P. Mauriat necks. I think a better bet might be a Tenor Madness neck. They use a Taiwanese made body for their horns so the tenon sizes maybe a bit closer and their necks play very well. A road trip there (Sax Alley) with your horn might be in order if you have time and want to try a few different options.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would have but as I remember (it's been a few years) when I went to try the Yamaha neck on my Sys-76 tenor the bore of the Mauriat was much larger. The tenon from the Yamaha wasn't just loose but rattled around so there was an actual gap that I felt was going to be too much trouble to try and fill by taping and I didn't want to have my Yamaha neck resized. You might want to contact Sax Alley and see what they have. They often have some Yamaha necks in stock as well as a few P. Mauriat necks. I think a better bet might be a Tenor Madness neck. They use a Taiwanese made body for their horns so the tenon sizes maybe a bit closer and their necks play very well. A road trip there (Sax Alley) with your horn might be in order if you have time and want to try a few different options.
Thanks Keith! That's what I was wondering about the yamaha necks. I purchased the horn from Tim at Sax Alley and I saw that he has a couple of P. Mauriat necks is stock so I'll probably make a trip. I'll check out the Tenor Madness route as well.

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,547 Posts
Yamaha V1 neck fits the 66R horns fine. I also have a Tenor Madness neck....no longer own a P. Mauriat horn but can confirm that the TM and V1 neck fit both my Eastman 52nd St. and Giardinelli, made by Eastman, Eastman 640 clone sax very nicely.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
My P Mauriat is stenciled Cadeson. It is a 902 and gold plated. It is a powerful somewhat spread sound. I like it as I am a rock player and not a jazz player. Its well established that Pmauriat makes the Cadeson with real rolled tone holes.
I tried it with the Yamaha V1, M1 and solid silver E1.

All the Yamaha necks fit perfectly and intonation was good. All of them had more focus than the PM neck. The V1 was the most similar with slightly more focus. The others were more focused. All played very well. I preferred the PM neck and would see no reason to change for the sound that I like. The necks all affected my Yamaha 875 the same way. I found myself really liking the M1 in the lower register and the V1 up top. The octave key on the PM neck did not sit low enough to try it on the Yamaha.

I dont know what neck the PM neck is on my horn. It is only labeled Cadeson. If you want a neck that will change your PM to a more focused core than a Yamaha neck may be a good choice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts