Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I'm wondering if I'm committing a kind of sacrilege...I've got a very nice MKVI alto (160xxx). Tonally speaking its a great mix of what I like, rich, darkish, but not too dark, great core of sound etc. It plays well in tune and responds well. Here's the possible sacrilege part...I had a chance to pick up a Yamaha Custom G1 neck at a reasonable used price. I've had this to play on a week before I had to make my choice to buy it.
I've decided to buy it as it seems to do a few positive things: Intonation is still good, ease of playing is a little better, response is improved, and the tone is fatter and more flexible. I know different necks can improve a horn in various ways (or not...) but mixing a Yamaha with a Selmer MKVI ?:shock: I pose the question: Has anyone else used a G1 neck on their MKVI alto or Tenor for the long term?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
G1 & Mkvi

SaxyAcous...I thought that was part of the idea of this forum...to discuss different outcomes from various gear. I posted partly tongue in check, so to speak, about the sacrilege part. Still....the vaunted Selmer MKVI tainted by the lowly Yamaha? :twisted:

I've kind of got a Selmha now! or is it a Yamer? Well, its mostly Selmer with a Yamaha G1 Neck. I had a Silver Plated Custom Z alto that I had really liked in most ways. It got to bright for me in the upper range though. This seems to be a great way to have it all. The tone that I want with extra responsiveness the G1 seems to provide.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Yeah but Lairman, you don't understand.
What are all those Yamaha Z players with Selmer and after-market necks gonna do now? :shock:

You cur. :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
Yes, no, no, no. ;)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
G1 & Mkvi

Hmm....well I am using a Copper Barone neck on my MKVI Tenor (see sig) so.. Doubly Sacrilegious...no, no, Barone stuff is okay. Its just mixing the Yamaha with the Selmer that is wrong! So wrong!!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
G1 & Mkvi

It is only possibly sacrilegious to mess around with MKVIs. The other Selmers don't really count....SBAs could get an honorable mention I suppose...;)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
G1 & Mkvi

Hey wait a minute! No one has actually said whether they are using the Yamaha G1 neck with their MKVIs !! Confess!!!!!:x

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
SaxyAcoustician said:
If it works for you, why should it matter?
What he said! What's the problem? Yamaha makes great stuff! Mark VI saxes are very different from horn to horn. This does not surprise me at all. Congratulations on your discovery!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts