Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi SOTW Members,

I'd like to share a COMPLETE list of all Yamaha Flute model numbers with you.

I'm actually a trumpet player by trade and got bored one day so I decided to compile a complete list of all of the Yamaha trumpet models as it seemed that it hadn't been done before (or recently). Yamaha seemed to list most models, but they were spread across all of their various international websites and not all located in one location. It also quickly became apparent that different sections of the various international Yamaha organisations had different ideas about when certain models were introduced and discontinued. In addition to that there were some models that Yamaha didn't officially list although they certainly existed, not to mention rare limited edition models only ever offered in Japan. After completing the Trumpet model list I have since gone on and completed a list for Trombones, French Horns and now Flutes.

You will see in the list that I try to include at least 2 official Yamaha verification sources for each model, as well as a catalog reference. At the bottom of the list are links to the various Flute related catalogs I have as reference so far. As time permits I will be filling in all of the specific model specifications and details. I never thought I'd know so much about inline or offset keywork, B or C footjoints, C# trill keys, soldered or drawn toneholes etc...

For the other instruments I have cataloged so far I have also created a database of Yamaha serial numbers. Yamaha seems to be a bit tight lipped about their serial numbers in general. You can email them at the US Band and Orchestral Division for a date of manufacture for a particular serial but before about 1982 not much is know to them. (They are actually now following these lists and updating their own model/discontinued model lists and links). If there is enough interest I will set up a Serial Database for the Yamaha Flute serial numbers also. I'm an instrument nerd so am more than happy to do it just for fun or interest sake, just ask me to.

If this list has any errors, typing mistakes, omissions or a new model is released feel free to contact me and I will endeavor to add or correct those details. Just please be kind, as I am a trumpet player after all.

Flute
Complete Yamaha FLUTE Model List

Trumpet
Complete Yamaha TRUMPET Model List
Yamaha TRUMPET Serial Number Database
Yamaha TRUMPET Serial Number Database - Submission Form

Trombone
Complete Yamaha TROMBONE Model List
Yamaha TROMBONE Serial Number Database
Yamaha TROMBONE Serial Number Database - Submission Form

French Horn
Complete Yamaha FRENCH HORN Model List
Yamaha FRENCH HORN Serial Number Database
Yamaha FRENCH HORN Serial Number Database - Submission Form

Feel free to join me on FaceBook, just search for my FaceBook page "YamahaCollector".

I'm also very appreciative of pdf scans of any Yamaha related marketing material, brochures, catalogs, advertising and even instrument owners manuals. I'm building a back catalog to use as reference for ALL yamaha wind/brass/orchestral instruments, and any I have I am happy to share. I REALLY like hard paper copies of these items but in this day and age I'm more than happy with pdf scans. I can be emailed at:

[email protected]

Cheers
YamahaCollector

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Many thanks. I didn't know there had been quite that many flute models!

Saxophone & clarinet next?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sax and Clarinet are in the works... but as with everything, it all takes time. I don't think I'll get anything up until next year at least as I do most of my "Yamaha" stuff at work and am about to to go on Christmas leave.

Cheers
YamahaCollector

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,215 Posts
wow, this is some piece of work! thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
I have a flute that is labeled J40-1, SN C704xx. It is a C, plateau flute with offset G and Split E, and has gold-plated lip plate (although I play it with an EC head). Not in your list. Case and flute are both clearly marked "Made in Japan" and yet it was new when I got it from Matthews music in 2007. It appears to be derived from the 211S, which appears to have not been made since '90 (according to the Yamaha site).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for sharing- This is great!

The model 621 isn't on your list- Silver top to bottom (including keys and mechanism), closed hole, offset G, C footjoint, French pointed key arms, white gold springs. Basically a 521 but with sterling keys and mechanism. I actually just got one from a local music shop that has asked me to try to sell it for them (it's brand new old stock)- so I'm about to post it right now on the sale page! :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thank you for sharing - what a fantastic resource! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi equake,

Yes, the database is "online" and "Public".

If you want your flute removed, please just send me a private message and I will delete the record of your flute.

If it helps, most of the information is fairly generic, specifically to allow privacy etc...

cheers
YamahaCollector

·
17,204 Posts
I now have an online Yamaha FLUTE Serial Number Database up and running.

Flutes
Yamaha FLUTE Model Number List
Yamaha FLUTE Serial Number Database
Yamaha FLUTE Serial Number Database - Submission Form

Cheers
YamahaCollector
Hi. I refer to the flute serial number list.

1. A suffix "N" means nickel plated. So the model number 24N that is listed is not silver plated. (Many people don't know the difference by looking.)

2. For silver-appearance head joints, hold the cork end, and flick the open end with your finger. If it makes a ringing sound, it is a copper/nickel alloy, so silver plated. If it makes a very different, dull "thuck" sound .it is solid silver (eg sterling silver) (That could still be silver plated to improve the appearance. Many manufacturers do this)

3. Another test for head or body. Heat the tenon over a flame, avoiding getting the flame anywhere near pads or corks. Don't heat it more that "spit-sizzling" hot (i.e. 100C), or you risk melting the soldering (at 182C or higher) and may tarnish the surface. Now, with a finger, test the temperature of the tubing for the next few cm from the tenon. If the metal is significantly hotter closer to the tenon, then the body is copper/nickel alloy. If the warmth has spread very evenly along the tube,it is silver. (This is because silver is an excellent conductor of heat.)

·
17,204 Posts
Duplicate post because of incorrectly reported database error when posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I now have an online Yamaha FLUTE Serial Number Database up and running.

Flutes
Yamaha FLUTE Model Number List
Yamaha FLUTE Serial Number Database
Yamaha FLUTE Serial Number Database - Submission Form

Cheers
YamahaCollector
Hi - I just bought a used Yamaha 221 for my daughter (she will be starting beginning band this year at school). I did research as best I could and bought a used one from someone and after meeting with them and reviewing everything, it looks legit. However, is there a way to be sure (100%)? I just logged the serial number in your database and sent photos. Let me know if there are any specific things I can look for on the flute to confirm. Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts