Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new alto to replace my YAS-23 because I'll be going back to college soon, and I was hoping to get some advice. I love the Yamaha ergonomics..they just fit my hand really well. I did some shopping around over the weekend and got to try a Yamaha 34II and a Selmer something-or-other (forgot the model). I enjoyed the Yamaha, but hated the Selmer. Not for sound, mind you. The sound out of the Selmer in my opinion was just a smidge darker, which is what I was looking for, but the ergonomics just did not fit my hands all that well.

I'd like to continue shopping around, and I don't want to limit myself to Yamaha's, but I really like the keywork on them. Are there any other saxes out there with keywork similar to Yamaha's as opposed to Selmer's?

Thanks!
Jim

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Yanagisawa

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I would say try the Selmer out again. Go with the tone you like. Try out the Yani though to, you may like the tone more than the Selmer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't suppose you folks know of any Yanagisawa dealers near Southwest Ohio, do you? *grins*

Also, if given the choice, would you go with a Yamaha 82Z or a Yani 991, and why? Thanks again!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
akumaJFR said:
I don't suppose you folks know of any Yanagisawa dealers near Southwest Ohio, do you? *grins*

Also, if given the choice, would you go with a Yamaha 82Z or a Yani 991, and why? Thanks again!
I would go with the Z, but my recommendation is biased (I play one). The reason that I chose it was because of the intonation, sound, and playablility.

HOWEVER, the 991 is a VERY good horn, for about the same price. I think that really, it all comes down to a matter of preference, and whether or not you have the time to sit down and play them together.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Well, if you really like the ergo's on the Yamaha's, wouldn't the 82Z be your ideal horn? Maybe the 875?

·
Registered
599 Posts
The 82z can be dark if you play it dark :).

Doesn't matter if they call it a 'Vintage' sound with a 'fat' low end, or a tenor-like sound.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I may end up going with a 82z, but I'm just trying to broaden my horizons until I find the horn that fits me. Unfortunately I live in an area with very few pickings when it comes to pro horns (can't even find a bari around here) so I like to go off suggestions of what I know I'll like so I'm not running all over creation trying to find something good :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
991 baby! Even a 901. Can't say I've tried the 875EX, but I don't care for the 82Z.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd jump on that Series III, even though the ergos are awful. The sound is just...there.

I agree with whoever said go for the sound and worry about the ergos later, but you should definitely still try all of your options.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
grevsax24 said:
I'd go with the 991, I also think the Yani has quite a bit more power than the 82Z.
Just curious- by power do you mean volume, projection, stage presence, ability to draw groupies, or something else?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Go for it :)

Both of them are great horns. You won't be disappointed by either...

Though if the Yani doesn't fit your taste, try the 82z :). I found the custom played a lot like the Ref 54.

·
Registered
848 Posts
dont put out a yamaha yas-62. You can make this make jsut about any sound you want.

classical, jazz,funk,rock

All with the yamaha set up:)

·
Registered
349 Posts
As I'm doing research on my alto I'm going to be buying myself, let me tell you I LOVE my YBS 62 bari and my YTS 82Z Unlaquered tenor. If I only had enough to try out some yamaha altos and buy one... I don't think I'm going to have enough. :( If I had the option up here, I would look into a YAS 62 or 62II to go along with looking into a Z. Unfortunately there're a lotta yamaha dislikers in here who abhor the Z ;) personally I can play both my yamahas in any setting and people tend to like how I sound, and I do too! So go what feels right to you!!

-Al

1 - 18 of 18 Posts