Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am going to look at a horn for my daughter tomorrow. The seller says it is a Yamaha, probably 10-15 years old, but doesn't know the model. I have heard Yamahas described as ubiquitous, so I am wondering if models aren't that important.

Any thoughts or advice? She has been using a school horn up until now, but is doing things on her own now.

Thanks. Michael

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
874 Posts
If it's a double horn then it's at least an intermediate-level instrument in Yamaha's lineup. From the sound of it, it could be a 567, 667, or 668. The latter two are professional-level instruments - the 667 is a Geyer wrap and the 668 is a Kruspe wrap. I have absolutely no idea what the benefits and drawbacks to either are though.

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Two years ago I bought two French horns to play at church. Once was a nice older double Yamaha and the other was an old Olds that I got for peanuts. Both went to the shop for a checkup before use. According to both our French Horn players, the Olds plays much better. That makes me wonder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the advice. It turned out to be a Yamaha 561 with a Krupse wrap, so it was 20-25 years old. It was really beaten up though, so I passed on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts