• Real

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Fake

Votes: 1 14.3%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Understanding also, that unless you are buying from a verifiable vendor, there are a couple on ebay, or a storefront, or somewhere that has a reputation, the person may or may not be reputable. If someone is a crook, selling you a counterfeit saxophone, what is to stop that person from taking pictures of a beautiful authentic horn and then putting something completely different in the box. If you buy used unseen, from unknown, unverified sources you take your chances. Luck to you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,287 Posts
I am not an expert on Yamaha saxophones even though I've owned a few, including a nice 82Z alto. I can't recall exactly how my Z was marked on the back. But the serial number on the instrument shown in the photo is suspicious. It looks like a six-digit number that begins with a one, making it, in my view, a number too low for the 82Z series. Plus, the lettering and numbers are not in line nor is the font convincing. I could be wrong, but . . . DAVE

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,816 Posts
I am not an expert on Yamaha saxophones even though I've owned a few, including a nice 82Z alto. I can't recall exactly how my Z was marked on the back. But the serial number on the instrument shown in the photo is suspicious. It looks like a six-digit number that begins with a one, making it, in my view, a number too low for the 82Z series. Plus, the lettering and numbers are not in line nor is the font convincing. I could be wrong, but . . . DAVE
Previous discussions on dating Yamaha saxes have revealed that they’ve never assigned sequential serial numbers to any of their models. Surprising as they’re the kings of quality control, but apparently not so much with serial numbers.
Edit: just searched the yamaha page...of all the instruments they make, pianos are the only one with a link where you can do a serial number look up. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
102 Posts
I understand the concern. I went through this with my Yani a while back. Although the lettering seems suspect, it's not out of line with this example, hopefully legit, from saxophone.org:

...or this cropped from a photo at Kessler's:

yamaha-82z-asp-wofu-tenor-model.jpg

·
Registered
681 Posts
I still own a Z tenor that I bought brand new from USA horn (don't remember the year but around 2005 maybe) . It has a six digit serial number beginning with 1 147xxx , so therefore they did make them with such serial numbers. It is a great horn BTW, although I did have to dial it in with set up (mouthpiece , reed and neck ) I did not favor the G1 neck it came with.

·
Registered
855 Posts
This is my Yamaha tenor sax that I am currently posted on FB.
I met the OP at the Park just 15 minutes ago (3 pm) for the test playing. He offered me $xxxx on Facebook and I agreed with his offer with the condition he must test playing it first.
After 5 minutes of checking and play test, OP decided not to buy because the price he offered to buy is too much for version I.
OP thought this is version II.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts