Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yamaha 475 to 855 upgrade?

So I've been playing sax for 6 years now and I'm getting very serious about it, playing in a big band, and modern worship music with my Church band. I have been playing a Yamaha 475 Alto (Made in Japan), and I find that it plays extremely well. However, I'm interested in a Custom 855 from a local seller, and I'm wondering what others think about the horn, and if it is much better then my 475. I have read a lot of articles about student/ intermediate models playing just as good, or in some cases, even better than the "top of the line" horns. Any feedback would be much appreciated about the difference people find between intermediate and custom models. Thanks!:)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Also don't forget about Yamaha's pro model, the 62, which many prefer to the custom as well.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
My take is that the YTS 61 plays with more soul than the 62; lots of core. They can be found at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
My take is that the YTS 61 plays with more soul than the 62; lots of core. They can be found at a reasonable price.
Just about everyone seems to like the YTS-61 (I used to play one, and it was a good horn), but it's a tenor. The OP is trying to compare Yamaha altos.

OP, the Custom 855 was a relatively short-lived model. Yamaha produced both the 855 snd the 875 for a while, but then discontinued the 855, which I believe had a slightly smaller bore. I don't think it's in particular demand, so you should be able to get a good price. (But don't let the seller tell you it's "rare," and therefore should command a premium.)

As for the comparison, go play the 855. Take your horn and compare back and forth. If the seller won't let you do a test, don't buy it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts