Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a yamaha yas-23 alto. Two of the four lugs holding the lower key guard have come unstuck. (What is the build quality of these like? Is this commmon?). Anyway I'm keen to reattach them. I understand that these are soldered to the body of the horn. Is it possible to do with an electric soldering iron? Or do I need to use a propane torch (or similar)? I have both - but am concerned about burning the lacquer (or generally making a mess of it). All advice welcome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. perhaps I should have explained- this IS a "cheap, ratty, pawn shop special" ($100) sort of thing, not my only alto, and bought with the intention of learning to do some repairs. (I'm an engineer, have a pretty good home workshop, and know that I have lots to learn regarding sax repair).

So... looks like I need to get my butane torch out... and what sort of solder/brazing do you recommend? When you (simso) say soft solder- is that a 60/40 lead based solder (same as electricians & plumbers use)?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.