Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
If you are the occasional "solder...er", a small spool of rosin core electrical solder from radio shack or the like will work fine. I use solid wire solder with a liquid flux. Clean/ scrape the old solder away and use a propane, butane, acetylene torch to heat the joint and add solder. I use acetylene/ air. A pencil soldering Iron will not likely generate enough heat, but a "gun" type Iron might. Some type of torch is best IMHO. Cleanliness, appropriate heat source, flux and control of heat is the key to good solder joints

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
I am surprised.
Why? Rosin core will solder together brass parts just fine. This is not my solder of choice for regular repair, but for a diy repair it will work fine. It eliminates the need to purchase a flux and will likely do a neater job for the novice solderer who won't get flux all over the instrument. The rosin can be cleaned off with no problem. Like any solder job, appropriate amunts of heat in the right places and cleaning the parts is crucial.
Matt

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
I find the iron tying wire used by florists to be useful.
The wire in a garbage bag wire ties is similar in guage to the florist wire, and I always seem to have these around. The nice thing about this fine guage wire is that it keeps the repairer from over tightening. Heavy binding wire can dent/bend parts if over tightened. Florist wire is an excellent choice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.