Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently emailed Yamaha Customer Service to inquire about pad sizes for my YAS-21 horn and they emailed me the chart below. I am confused, however, about the pad size that I should select for the pad I need to replace (side C), since there are two sizes listed under YAS-21: 24.3 mm and 24.0 mm.

Does anyone know which listing I should go by? Or would it be better to simply measure the pad that is currently on my horn and go based off of that? Thank you!

View attachment 245552

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Individual pads that are sold today are in half millimeter sizes so you couldn't buy a 24.3mm if you wanted to. The closest you could come would be 24.0 and 24.5. Either could probably be made to work, but I would get the 24.0mm. You can always order both sizes and use the one that fits the best. However I just checked the YAS-23 pad sets from Music Center (Pisoni) and they list a few pads with xx.9 and xx.2mm sizes. If you live in the US Music Medic is a convenient place to order saxophone pads. Their regular tan pad with a plastic resonator is a good match for your Yamaha.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
I'm always apprehensive about using charts. Firstly, I don't know who did the measuring. Second, I don't know what variables in manufacturing may be present on my horn. Lastly, I don't know what kind of "running changes" were made on my particular horn. I actually own a Vito YAS-21 stencil. If you compared it with your horn, you would notice a good many differences. So, the best solution would be to measure the diameter of the keycup yourself with one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-01407A...t=&hvlocphy=9005936&hvtargid=pla-434402902073

I'll also second saxoclese's music medic recommendation. They also sell pad sets, which may work. However, pad sets do not account for those "running changes" made throughout a model of saxophone. Therefore, you may have to purchase a few pads individually. Speaking of, since it looks like you are only purchasing one pad, I would suggest that you purchase 2 or 3 of the same pad. This will also account for variables found in the manufacturing of the pad itself. They're pretty inexpensive, and buying several shouldn't impact postage that much, if at all. Dry fit all of them into the keycup, and see which fits best before shellacking it down and seating.

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Well, I ordered one pad set from Music Medic and it had some wrong sizes (they took care of it, like they say they will, but it caused some additional delay which in this case wasn't a big deal). The second pad set I ordered from them, I just measured all the cups and every single pad fit perfectly.

I would just use a vernier or dial caliper to measure each pad cup, and I'd measure it at two crossed diameters and take the larger of the two dimensions (because a pad that's a teeny bit loose in the cup is OK but one that's too tight and puckers is NG). Measure in the units the vendor sizes the pads in (if I recall correctly, Ferees uses inches and MM uses mm).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up using a digital vernier to measure the interior diameter of the pad cup and got in the ballpark of 24.00 mm (with errors in the second decimal place likely coming from shaky hands). Went ahead and bought the tan pad with the plastic resonator from Music Medic per the great suggestions! Fortunately my current pad is still in good shape, as I am just transferring the good pad from a broken key to a brand new key. Hopefully ordering the extra pad will safeguard me in case the old pad doesn't fit the new key. Thank you all!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
Isn't that awesome? Wish I would've known that before repadding a 1919 and 1921 True Tone altos. The pad sets at the time accommodated the latter series. No biggie as I only had to swap out 2 or 3 pads per horn. The individual pad prices are very reasonable imo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts