Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is interested in a Yamaha Custom 875 (alto).
His dad is interested in a good, used one!
Have no idea what to expect to spend...or how,where to look for reliable deal. I've seen some on ebay, but few and far between!
New to this forum...just need some guidance.
Thanks in advance.
JTT

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
You should expect to pay around $1900 for a used 875. Probably the best modern alto out there in my opinion, just beating the Selmer Serie II by a hair. I think that someone has one for sale here (Steve P.); I've seen quinntheeskimo selling them occasionally on eBay also, and he's a good seller.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,321 Posts
82z maybe?

Is he only interested in a 875 or possibly an 82z UL?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dead set (I think)

Yeah, several people (including his teacher) have suggested that since we've had trouble finding the 875. Ever since he played one, he's locked in on the 875.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have one for sale in the marketplace. $1900, just as J.Max sugested. Feel free to contact me if you interested :)

Steve P

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The 875 is a great horn. You can probably get one for under $1,900. This price seems a little high, IMO. I bought a 875 (tenor) new, for $2,500, (when they first came out), maybe 14(?) years ago. The new 875's can be had for a good price. Check it out!

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
JTT, I would consider Steve P's offer. While the selling price of $1,900.00 is on target according to one poster above, and a bit high according to another, if you read the for sale notice you will see several extras that you normally would not be getting, i.e. two different necks, etc. and two-day shipping included in the price.

I'm not writing this to knock Raphyel's offer out of the water or to push Steve's - Raphyel's Z is going to be an excellent alto as well, and both are unlaquered (UL) saxes so your son might not like the 875 UL - but just to let you know that it's probably a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
82Z v. 875?

Thanks to all of you for your input....I was hoping to find a good, used 875 for around 1700, but apparently, that would be an exception.
I'll keep looking....I do think he'd want a lacquered one as well.
I'm not familiar with the 82z that was mentioned earlier....is it on the same plain as the 875? differences? similarities? cost?:?
Again, thanks for your great assistance...JTT:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts