Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 82Z straight neck Friday and I'm asking these questions because I don't know if I have a defective product and should get started on a return process immediately. I paid full price for a brand new instrument and expected a brand new instrument. What I don't need is moralizing about ordering expensive instruments online, so kindly refrain.

1. The low B-flat key was bent almost 140 degrees. I saw that there was a half-inch gap in the case from the end of the bell to the end of the case socket that the instrument fits in, and that a severe bump could slide the sax to this edge and bend that key. Is that gap in the case by design or is it filled in on a new product (and possibly missing only on a returned sax)?
  2. I also noticed that the E palm key is bent away from my hand near the teardrop at the top. Is it supposed to be that way?
  3. The cone is not perfect in two places... one is a small bulge just under the second octave key post from the top and looks intentional. The other is underneath the main keys where a straight edge like an index card doesn't stay in full contact on the bell but lifts off at one side; it's like either the bell is bowed or the cone tapers inward towards the end of the bell. Is it supposed to be that way?
  4. Should all brand new instruments come in a branded Yamaha box or is a plain brown box another legitimate way they ship?

Please advise, thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Sad. Shipping a saxophone is an art in itself. There has been much posted on SOTW about how to do it.

Was the horn packed within the case? Were all the shipping corks in place? Was the packed case in a carton that was itself then solidly packed in an outer substantial container that had packing material between the outer walls of the carton and the walls of the original carton? If not, it wasn't done correctly. It won't do to put a horn in a case, then put the case in a carton and ship it off.

I have shipped and received many saxophones and only once did one I receive suffer ANY damage (an easily fixed bent palm key - bent off the tone hole and I bent it back). I would immediately contact the seller and demand return shipping arrangements. Make sure YOU pack it properly for the return. DAVE

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There were no shipping corks, that was the first warning sign, nor was there an outer container as I am accustomed to. The whole thing was careless, which is unforgivable for this sum of money.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Sounds like you need to return the instrument back. It sounds like to me that the horn was damaged during shipping. The E palm key is supposed to be straight because every sax I play (even mine) has it positioned were my hands can reach it.

Can you take and upload pictures of the damaged saxophone so we can see what really happened to it????

If the B flat key is bent 140 Degrees, the instrument is obviously damaged.

Sounds like the sax was packed carelessly.

I hope you get your money back.

If there is a music store near you, look for another soprano sax when you get your money back.

If not, look for an old selmer soprano sax or another yamaha soprano on ebay - Beware.
Some sellers may lie about the product they are selling. Always look at the customer feedback about the seller, by clicking on the seller's name on ebay.

If the seller feedback score is 99% or more, you can probably buy it.

That is what I did when I got my Bundy II alto, and when it came, it was carefully packed. The horn arrived in good condition.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Both brand new Yamahas I ordered and had shipped to me, AND the one I bought from the store all had shipping corks holding the keys in place and plastic over the case!

Had the corks been there and the plastic been in place, some of those issues could have been avoided!

So sorry for your hard luck, dude!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
The finish doesn't matter. What matters is 1) the seller pays for the return, and 2) you and the seller reach a clear understanding of how the horn is to be packed and shipped, minimizing the chances of similar damage. A good re-pack and return shipping is spendy (or should be if done correctly). DAVE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts