Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. I am a new member to this forum. Been playing a Selmer Mark VI for the last 20 yrs. Recently tried the Yamaha line and really flipped out over it. Love the 82ZU Unlacquered tenors. Was so impressed by them that I am selling my Mark VI. Was a long thought out process, but I really want to make the switch. My question to any of you is who has the best prices on these horns? Who might be willing to swap my 6 for one of these. Who has the best availability of these and is there any particular place that is really geared toward the professional player, where there will be some Killer 82ZUs for me to try. I am in the Midwest, but would consider doing business with a reputable shop in any area. Would really love to get my hands on one without the high F sharp key, but that is not the deciding factor.. Any and all help or input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
1,393 Posts
Funky,,

Seems to me the best thing to do would be to sell your Mkvi and then buy a new 82zul and pocket some cash.Cant really help you on where in the midwest to buy/Demo one but i know scimonettis in california carry's them and a call to them would for sure help you...

·
Registered
455 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If that is what you want to do, you should be able to sell (not trade) the VI for the Z. You most likely will come out on the plus side (with the cash) if you sell first. If there is no nearby "bricks and mortar" shop, then you might try some of the mail order houses. Consider US shops and then maybe those abroad. Also consider those places that set up the saxes before they send them. I believe some (like WWBW) may send you two maybe three saxes to try, but with a secured payment of at least one of them.
I did a similar move about ten years ago for a YSS-875 . Trading a VI for the Custom soprano. I bought my Z four years ago and another Yani from Matthews Music in the Netherlands. No problems with either transaction. I even had them send three and sent back the others. Most saxes of the same brand can be found within a range of 100.00 difference. If not, most would be willing to match or beat other mail house prices. Remember shipping, duties and taxes play into the factors.
I think its pretty hard to beat the Z. Its a great sax! Good luck! Mike

·
Registered
242 Posts
You should contact Tenor Madness. They can assist with unloading your VI, either as a trade-in or on consignment. They can also get you a killer Z. Though, I would be surprised if they didnt try to talk you out of the deal altogether!

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
I went the other way. Bought an old vi tenor and sold my new YTS 82Z UL. The 82Z had intonation problems that no one could fix. New neck and all. No help from the dealer or from Yamaha. I strongly recommend that you not buy a YTS 82Z sight unseen. Test play the one you want with a tuner and with your mouthpiece.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
whaler said:
Don't do it! You will regret it.
Well, he did say he's been playing a Mark VI for 20 years and his decision only came after "a long thought out process". ;)

But if you can do it at all, I would hang on to your Mark VI for at least 6 months if not a year while you have your "Z". You never know and this gives you a fall-back position.

FWIW, recently a thread was started about Dino Govoni and what a great player he is. After many years playing Selmers, he's playing a "Z" now as much, if not more, than his VI.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
If he could afford to keep both, that would be a good idea. I used to play my Conn 10M (long gone) and leave my MarkVI at home, but I never would have thought of selling my MarkVI. There is no comparison in the tone of a Selmer and a Yamaha. Maybe a good repair job on the Selmer would be a better idea. It may be that the new horn, right out of the box feels more responsive, at least for now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I give a strong second to talking to Randy at TenorMadness. His shop is in Cedar Falls, Iowa. As for the nay sayers, I can only give my experience. I had a VI for about 10 years and it was a great horn but, for me, Yamahas suited my concept of sound better and worked better for me. I have a Z tenor and have no issues with intonation. I use a Ponzol neck and that may be a key. The Z was one Peter picked out at the Yamaha factory to use for the development of his neck. Based on my experiences, I think you will be very pleased with the Z and have minimal regrets about letting go of the VI.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
Contact U-Crest Music in Buffalo, NY. I've bought my horns from them and referred a few other SoTW'rs to them. They're likely to have the best price and service you'll find. Their contact info is at http://www.ucrestmusic.com/. Tell them Pat Seguin sent you. ;)

I know you'll have no regrets about the Z either. I sold my ref54 alto and got a Z UL and will never look back.

·
Registered
395 Posts
VI vs. 'bare brass' Z

Hello all,

I can't resist putting my two cents in on this one... I had been a 30+ years Mark VI (tenor) player, had many additional horns that I also enjoyed (King Super 20's, Martins, Conns, H. Couf, etc.) but always played the VI as a primary tenor (ser.# 106,XXX).

Yamahas were always excellent horns to me, but not until the 'Z' did I make the leap. I've now been playing an unlacquered Z tenor for 3 1/2 years, and I find it to be much, much less resistant, far better in tune, ergonomically better, and, more 'spread' to the sound (better for me) than my VI.

I've enjoyed it so much, that I've now sold two VI altos that I'd had for years (96,XXX and 159,XXX), bought an unlacquered 82Z alto, and couldn't be happier. I'm now waiting for the release of the Z sops in the country I live in. Buy and play what you like, (saxophone) life can actually be juuuuust fine without a Mark VI in your posession.... I'm deciding whether or not to finally sell my VI tenor.

good luck, enjoy, cheers, DC

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
The best thing to do is live with both for a while (a few months for me) and then decide which you can do without. I know finances sometimes makes that difficult to do. But in cases like this -- a 'mistake' is more costly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just bought an 82Z tenor, and ..

It's beautiful. It has a tone to die for. I really don't care what the sax looks like, just the tone please maam.

But, it happens to look nice too.

I was wondering about the difference between lacquered and unlacquered. This one is lacquered. Might even sound better unlacquered.

Everything worked perfectly right out of the box.

Not sure about the 4M mouthpiece. It came with one single Fredericke Hemke (?) #3 reed (which sounds nice). I'm about to strap on an Otto Link 6 Super TM, and try a Rico 3, or a Van Doren 3, which should wake it up.

The cats (furry ones) know it's here. They're out back now!

Everything in the quote below would apply to this 82Z. I tried the 62 but it sounds like nothing (similar to the semi-pro YTS-475) compared to the 82Z.

I did the deal through Long and McQuade in Canada who took the 3 month YTS-475 in for trade and gave a good price.

Well, enough of this, time to get playing ...<honk> (with lovely warm and complex overtones in high and low registers).

Cheers
Bruce

DC said:
Hello all,

I can't resist putting my two cents in on this one... I had been a 30+ years Mark VI (tenor) player, had many additional horns that I also enjoyed (King Super 20's, Martins, Conns, H. Couf, etc.) but always played the VI as a primary tenor (ser.# 106,XXX).

Yamahas were always excellent horns to me, but not until the 'Z' did I make the leap. I've now been playing an unlacquered Z tenor for 3 1/2 years, and I find it to be much, much less resistant, far better in tune, ergonomically better, and, more 'spread' to the sound (better for me) than my VI.

I've enjoyed it so much, that I've now sold two VI altos that I'd had for years (96,XXX and 159,XXX), bought an unlacquered 82Z alto, and couldn't be happier. I'm now waiting for the release of the Z sops in the country I live in. Buy and play what you like, (saxophone) life can actually be juuuuust fine without a Mark VI in your posession.... I'm deciding whether or not to finally sell my VI tenor.

good luck, enjoy, cheers, DC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts