Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm new to the site, but I've been reading posts and topic discussions for years now. I'm a long time Selmer player (I understand that might not be the best way to open a thread on a Yamaha board, but please, hear me out :)) Recently I got a chance to play test some of the Yamaha 82 Z alto's and I'm completely blown away by many things about this particular horn.
My questions are these;

What have others experience either owning, or simply playing their Z's?
What finish has been the most successful for jazz playing (I played the U. and loved it)
and finally, How many people have kept the stock pads/setup that came with the horn, or did you opt for a different set ie: Saxgourmet pads w/ Noyek reso's
or another setup.

I'd be curious to hear as much about the horn as possible before purchasing one. On that note, where's the best place to buy one? (assuming setting up the horn and making it playable are part of the price).

Thanks for everyone's help and input in advance.

Saxman71680

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
Your local music store would be the best place to get it, because not only are you supporting your local economy, you will most likely get a setup with the horn. Most places that I have been to will offer that.

Regarding the finish... ENDLESS debates on here about that, look them up. I play a matte (shotblast) finish for jazz and classical, I feel that the PLAYER makes the difference.

Great horn, try them out before you buy, though. There are some lemons, but not many.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Saxman: Welcome to SOTW. To sum it up, the finish doesn't matter - it is the individual horn (and the player, of course). I know, I know . . .

I tested a bunch of Yamaha altos a while back - all models. I did not buy, but came upon a trade offer and I accepted. It was the nicest playing of all the Yamahas I'd tried (a lacquered Z). But after a while, I traded it back to the previous owner - I just never played it.

I DID buy a new Selmer Ref 54 alto after finding five that played similarly. I bought one of them and still have it - played it last Sunday at my gig. My preference is old Bueschers but that is another story.

Where do you live? I'm in favor of buying locally, if possible, but recognize that some retailers do a better job than others of setting up their new saxophones - and selling for a reasonable profit. On this board, you will find several great retailers - Jim Scimonetti (Lancaster, CA), Dave Kessler (Las Vegas) come to mind. There are several more.

If you find an alto that works for you, buy it, regardless of its finish and the brand. For me, price is second to availability and service. DAVE

·
Registered
599 Posts
Lol the finish doesn't really matter, though the 82zUL seems to be quite popular among this forum. However, regardless of finish, if you find a Z that you like, buy it :). I ended up buying a gold lacquer one because I liked the sound, nothing more.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm living in Pennsylvania at the moment, just outside of Philadelphia, but moving to New Hampshire with in the next 2 weeks. I've looked around locally but not really anything to write home about. I wanted to get into Philly but just haven't had the time with work being hectic, although even if I got there, I don't really know the area enough to know where good music shops are in Philly. I've only been down here for a couple of months (short living experience I know:? ). But heading back to Manchester, NH, so I know there's at least a local shop there that carries them, just not sure how competitive the prices are compared to the likes of Tenor Maddness, or WWBW, or Robertos (just to name a few). Anyways, thanks for all the comments, and keep them coming!!

Saxman

·
Registered
337 Posts
I love the UL horns from Yamaha, but that is because I really dig the non shiny look. I have played some 82z alto's, a few lacquered, a few unlacquered, and they all sound and feel good. For me, It's just a bizarre thing that draws me to beat up looking horns.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
373 Posts
82z

I recently had my 82Z setup by Tenor Madness and Randy suggested that I give the Ponzol necks a try. I was happy with the stock G1 neck but I thought I'd give it a try and it really did fatten up the sound, especially in the upper register.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
y

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I've been talking to Randy and the guys at Tenor Madness now for a couple of weeks... Still debating where I'm going to get the best price on one. Has anyone ever done business with a company called Ozwinds out of Australia? I saw a post by someone else, can't remember where I saw it, but they said they got a Z U. for 2,200. I emailed the company and they quoted me 2,595 which included shipping to the US. Has anyone seen it cheaper anywhere else? Tenor Madness quoted me at 2,895, with the ponzol neck it would be 3,245 which still isn't bad... I'm just curious about that other company and if anyone's had direct dealings with them. 2600 including shipping isn't bad for a horn of that caliber....

Thanks everyone for their imput.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I don't see why you wouldn't get it from tenor madness, they can set the horn up and everything for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone have any experience with the Barone Necks on the Z? I know there's been great success with the ponzol necks, but I've also been hearing a lot about the Barone necks too, so I'm curious if anyone has any experience with them?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
CountSpatula said:
I think your worrying to much about new necks...just use the stock one...a lot less money and will play just fine.

Yeah, what he said! Quit looking for other ways to spend your money! Practice more instead!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm simply going over all the options, that's all. I heard there were flaws in intonation with the G1 Necks and was curious if anyone had any better luck with the Barone models, as I know people are having great success with the Ponzol necks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
I love my UL alto. It comes with a pink slip explaining that the horn is unlacquered which gives it more resonance. I tend to agree and am very glad I waited the extra time to special order the UL version.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pats,
Where did you get yours from? how long have you had it? I'm looking very closely at either the U. or Silver plate (leaning more towards the U). Anything else you can tell me about the horn? Intonation problems? tendencies?

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
I think all we're saying is buy the sax first. If you are not satisfied with the neck and your sound (in which case maybe you shouldn't buy the sax), then worry about experimenting with different necks. Unless you are like me and have GAS. Then you have to fight the constant urge to experiment with different everything! You have no idea how hard a time I've had not ordering some gold plated G1 necks at 400 to 500 bucks a pop! I may still do it!;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did I miss something but, who cares what I chose for either a lac. or unlac? I play an unlac. VI does that mean I did something wrong?? I chose to have my horn delac. because I liked the sound of it, it's about the sound. has nothing to do with cosmetics or a certain look.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts