Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,438 Posts
Not for me (that horn OR the high price), but from what I've seen of the horns you like compared to what I like, you may like the 62R (not being angry or mean here, just realistic).

I played a 62R when they first hit the market and was not impressed. I later owned a YSS62S (silver-plated straight neck) and liked it okay. My daughter has it now. It isn't anywhere near the level of the Serie III or S992 that I've owned.

I think that price is WAY too high, though. Think of all the really good-playing sopranos out there at that price (the $3K to $4K range). DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,315 Posts
I've owned and Sold 3 62R's - 2 were 3 digit early version that played great and the 3rd not-so-great. I sold the last one about 6 months ago for $2,500 and I thought I was TOO high but someone bought it. I can't believe the prices have gone up $1,000 in 1/2 a year. I think $2,600 to $2,700 is the current price but check completed listings on E-bay.

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just go back from my local dealer. I ordered a brand new 875EX soprano. I've heard such high praise about them that I had to get one. My price is $2695. Best I saw anywhere online was in the $3300 range. His regular price though is only $2745. Plus they are great people to deal with. I'll post some initial thoughts in the Yamaha section when I get it.

EDIT: And by the way, thanks for the feedback. I thought maybe those prices were reasonable but didn't really know. Dave, I understand completely what you are saying. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,699 Posts
patseguin said:
I just go back from my local dealer. I ordered a brand new 875EX soprano. I've heard such high praise about them that I had to get one.
But we praise the 992 even higher and you don't like it... :(

G'luck on your quest. May you get what you want and want what you get. ;)

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dr G said:
But we praise the 992 even higher and you don't like it... :(

G'luck on your quest. May you get what you want and want what you get. ;)
Well, I've heard that the 875EX is best Soprano on the market today. As much as I wanted the 992 to work out, it just isn't. It's not that I don't like it, because I get a great sound of it. There are just nagging problems that I can't get ironed out and I'm sick of it being such a chore to play the horn.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I suppose it doesn't make much difference now, but I think my 62R is better than any other soprano I've played, including the 875, 875EX, Series II/III. Enjoy the new horn.:)

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
patseguin said:
Well, I've heard that the 875EX is best Soprano on the market today. As much as I wanted the 992 to work out, it just isn't. It's not that I don't like it, because I get a great sound of it. There are just nagging problems that I can't get ironed out and I'm sick of it being such a chore to play the horn.
G'luck with the 875EX soprano. I am so happy with mine! How long 'til you get it?

Steve

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
qwerty said:
G'luck with the 875EX soprano. I am so happy with mine! How long 'til you get it?

Steve
Should be 3 days they said. I'm pretty excited and glad I had the patience to go my local dealer. $2695 is a phenomenal price for that horn.

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,678 Posts
How high the price

Paseguin -

Let me quote Jason Dumars who said something like "the worth of a horn depends on how much you, the buyer, value it."

This is what I keep in mind when I buy horns, and I think it serves me well. You can never be happy with your horns or purchases if you go by someone's value!

Having said that, one should study brands and models well before making a decision instead of blindly applying this principle and pay a ridiculous price for a horn.

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
patseguin said:
Should be 3 days they said. I'm pretty excited and glad I had the patience to go my local dealer. $2695 is a phenomenal price for that horn.
That is about what I paid for mine in Silver Plate back in November '06.

Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts