Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have this two great soprano saxes and i would tell you my impressions..
Yamaha 62 R (10xxx): really easy to play, great intonation and key action, it's perfect to do all, especially studio recording session you are sure in every range. Sound is clear but sweet but there isn't a great attack in some notes as c, c# middle and in general sound is not so power ,it's compact and sweet.

Mark 6 (143xxx): My mk6 has added the Tx key Oleg so is very good for play E, F in the other position. Mark 6 hasn't this key normally! The palm key of left hand are in strange position but you can get confidence with practise.Intonation is really ok! The sound is beautiful, powerful, clear , very big and large is THE SOUND!It's even easy control it! AMAZING! it has a great attack on every note and it has more presence of 62R! it's more SOLID!

So the winner is MARK 6 as sound, feel, power. 62R has some features more confortables and it's ok if you want to be sure playing in every situation, classical too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've played in front of people this two sax with same notes, and they really said the 62 r is more thin, mellow , the mk6 is fat, more presence and power..this is the sensation people have listenig to the two soprano..

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've owned both. The Yamaha is long gone for the very reason you mention: thin tone, lack of projection. Mine had a cocked neck, and I never liked that either. IMO few sopranos have the tonal qualities of a Mk. VI. Some are supposedly out of tune—I'd say at worst some are a bit quirky on that front—but mine isn't, and I've never played a horn that matches its sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
Lets do it next time with a Yani 901. I got rid of Mark Vl 158xxx when I found the Yani.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yani produced very good saxes but the sound is not so jazz, it has a vibration that i don't like, but everyway is good assembled sax! if you have a mk6 that plays really very good, it's difficult you'll sell it! it has THE SOUND

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re: Yamaha 62 R vs Mark 6 143xxx soprano
Yani produced very good saxes but the sound is not so jazz

Re the above statement..... what is Jazz sound then?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
I got rid of my Mk VI sop a long time ago - Buescher TrueTone, Couf Superba, and Yanagisawa SC-992 sops have all proven superior for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts