Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the advice we have previously received, we have canned the idea of purchasing the 475 or the La Voix.

I am the mom with the 13 yr old in grade 8 piano - she does Tenor Sax and wants to make the top bands. Question is what instrument to buy her.

We are now looking at a used 62 and a used 875. Both are in excellent shape. Neither are located in our city, but both can be purchased on a trial basis (will be checked by her band instructor etc.) so she will be unable to compare them side by side.

What are the pros and cons of each?? There is about $800 difference - the 875 being more. Your thoughts.

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
706 Posts
the 62 is a great pro instument.. some prefare the 875 over it but some do not (soundwise); both horns are equally easy to play and with perfectly constructed mechanics , so I guess that the 62 is the best choise for you (800$ is not a small difference)..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
At age 13 the 62 should serve quite well. Especially if it is an older model 62. Fine saxes!

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
As a current owner of an 875 and former owner of a 62, I can tell you that they're both excellent, sturdy horns, and you wouldn't go wrong with either one. As you've read above, some actually prefer the 62 to the 875. Although I love my 875, I often wonder whether an $800 difference in the used price is justified. (That was approximately the difference when I sold my 62 and bought the 875.) You'll note that the price differential between a new 62 and 875 is much closer. Assuming they're both in the same condition, I'd go with the 62 unless the money is not an object.

Good luck!

Frank

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
fballatore said:
As a current owner of an 875 and former owner of a 62, I can tell you that they're both excellent, sturdy horns, and you wouldn't go wrong with either one. As you've read above, some actually prefer the 62 to the 875. Although I love my 875, I often wonder whether an $800 difference in the used price is justified. (That was approximately the difference when I sold my 62 and bought the 875.) You'll note that the price differential between a new 62 and 875 is much closer. Assuming they're both in the same condition, I'd go with the 62 unless the money is not an object.

Good luck!

Frank
I agree, Both horns are fine pro horns! If the 875 is in A LOT better condition the 62, it may worth be $800 difference. Play both horns, and go with the instrument you like best. I like the 875. Good luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I bought my then-13 year old boy a YTS-62II last year. It's a great horn. This year he made 1st All-Region Band.

When comparing different models, I believed the 62 is a little more tranditional than the 875. I figure a student needs a good solid horn that has no trouble with a good traditional legit tone. And with a jazz mouthpiece, the 62 still does a great job for my son in jazz band. Since you can buy the 62 direct for about the same cost that many local music stores want for their student Yamahas, I figure you can't beat it.

PS: Here's the mouthpieces that seem to work good for my boy:

Concert Band - Selmer S80 D (started on the "C*" size)
Maching Band - Selmer Metal Jazz (I can actually hear him over the trumpets while I set in the stands)
Jazz Band - Bari 8J Jazz (Just a generic high baffle piece)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 &
1,270 Posts
Enviroguy said:
Maching Band - Selmer Metal Jazz (I can actually hear him over the trumpets while I set in the stands)
This is not necessarily a good thing.:shock: I can hear the bari player in one of my concert bands over everybody and that is definately NOT a good thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!

Thank you everyone! Your posts have been very valuable in helping us make a decision.

We have ordered a used 62 to have a look at. We're keeping our fingers crossed.

Thanks again!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
hey! i know plenty of people who have gone pro with a yas 275 or 23, and just waited til they see a real bargain of a nice vintage sax, or a newer sax even,
nout wrong with getting a few necks and mpcs to get the most out of a begginer or intermediate sax

1 - 10 of 10 Posts