Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I never thought about changing the neck of my YAS62 (purchased in 1990) and that is why never even checked the model.
What is weird I think that there are no any signs (letter, number) on it.

Is it normal for 62?
See pic please.

Attachments

· Forum Contributor 2008-2017
374 Posts
Hi,
I never thought about changing the neck of my YAS62 (purchased in 1990) and that is why never even checked the model.

Is it normal for 62?
See pic please.
Yes, perfectly normal on earlier 62's. The first Yamaha's with a model number on the neck were the original 875 Customs with an M1 neck, 62's started having a neck model number with the G1 neck on the 62II

· Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, perfectly normal on earlier 62's. The first Yamaha's with a model number on the neck were the original 875 Customs with an M1 neck, 62's started having a neck model number with the G1 neck on the 62II
Thanks for the info! So, the next question will be... can you tell something about necks replacement/compatibility on my early 62. Would G1 and G3 feet the sax?
May be you'll simply say that my unnumbered one is better or much worst than newer?

· Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info! So, the next question will be... can you tell something about necks replacement/compatibility on my early 62. Would G1 and G3 feet the sax?
May be you'll simply tell that my unnumbered one is better or much worst than newer?

· Forum Contributor 2008-2017
374 Posts
May be you'll simply tell that my unnumbered one is better or much worst than newer?
The newer neck will require an extension to the octave mechanism on the sax body as the original 62s (as well as 52s, 61a, 23s, 21s, etc had a shorter post. I've used the V1 neck on mine with outstanding results using an extension to the post

· Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

· Registered
2,378 Posts
Hi,

Is it normal for 62?
See pic please.
So, I guess I'll ask the question, is there something wrong with the current neck you have? Does your horn play (reasonably) in tune? Do you get the sound you like? I only say this because you can waste a lot of time and money on a quest for something that's not really obtainable.

· Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
>>>
So, I guess I'll ask the question, is there something wrong with the current neck you have? Does your horn play (reasonably) in tune? Do you get the sound you like? I only say this because you can waste a lot of time and money on a quest for something that's not really obtainable.

>>>

your question is just in time :)

I just started to check the question around a neck upgrade... called local store they have V1 for $395 (Canadian) and there is no prob for coming and try it.
From what I read here in the thread related to new Yamaha necks and mikelaroche that provided the info about my current neck, few answers are definitely stating that V1 would/should be a real jump from the original one.

Nothing wrong with my current, so I guess that's really worth to try... it's like one may be fully satisfied with Toyota but after trying BMW may rediscover the car's world.
Probably, it is exaggeration :) and the price proportion is not the same... But V1 price will not break my bank, especially if there will be a real something for the money.

I am not going crazy in research of improving my humble playing by means of equipment (the best here will be proper work on overtones :) and other stuff that requires personal efforts, I guess...)
But after all collected info on the forum I'll probably will give a try (cost nothing).
Also, the guys in the store will do all necessary for adjusting the neck in case I will go for it.

Thanks for your opinion.

· Registered
2,378 Posts
>>>

>>>

your question is just in time :)…

I just started to check the question around a neck upgrade... called local store they have V1 for $395 (Canadian) and there is no prob for coming and try it.
From what I read here in the thread related to new Yamaha necks and mikelaroche that provided the info about my current neck, few answers are definitely stating that V1 would/should be a real jump from the original one.

Nothing wrong with my current, so I guess that's really worth to try... it's like one may be fully satisfied with Toyota but after trying BMW may rediscover the car's world.
Probably, it is exaggeration :) and the price proportion is not the same... But V1 price will not break my bank, especially if there will be a real something for the money.

I am not going crazy in research of improving my humble playing by means of equipment (the best here will be proper work on overtones :) and other stuff that requires personal efforts, I guess...)
But after all collected info on the forum I'll probably will give a try (cost nothing).
Also, the guys in the store will do all necessary for adjusting the neck in case I will go for it.

Thanks for your opinion.
OK, here's what I discovered since my last post on this thread. I recently purchased (just on a whim) a new neck for my YAS-62II. It has no marking on it, and I believe it's an original 62 neck and my horn sounds better than ever with it. In fact, I will probable never use the G1 neck again. So, you are certainly on the right track with trying something new, because you never know what could be right for you. For me, I found that the original 62 neck is better. Let us know how you make out...

Attachments

· Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,403 Posts
I use a G3 on my ancient YAS 62....have done for years. This set up will compete with anything, vintage or modern...and I've had 'em all in 50 years of playing, take my word for it.
The G1 necks are good but, can have a few intonation problems I found..the G3 is just right with any mouthpiece.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.