Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Playing this nice horn on loan. Has a great ring to it! And the 4c mouthpiece works great! Right?

I noticed the tip of the 4c has a wide flat area just before the area of where the baffle (or in this case lack there of, starts). I've never seen that on any other mouthpiece.

It's interesting to see a mouthpiece that works so well and is so inexpensive.

One major disappointment and pain in the ***** the ligature does NOT screw down tight enough to hold three reed down. To get it tight you have to move it way back! This is the case with another generic random metal tenor ligature I have, too. Really upsetting when Yamaha puts so much engineering into the horn, neck and mouthpiece and can't get the ligature right. I tried every mark of reed in my case, about 4 or 5 brands- all the same.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
with respect, the fact that the ligature works in a different way than you would want (and that may suit someone else, by the way, if it is the same wit a generic ligature could it be that YOU want to place the ligature where is not supposed to?) on a student ligature and student mouthpiece (which is what a 4C is) and then issue such a complaint on Yamaha sounds quite a bit exaggerated.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,221 Posts
Usually Yamaha ligatures fit nice and snug on Yamaha mouthpieces.
Have you thought about putting a little piece of paper/card stock between the ligature and the top of the mouthpiece as a temporary fix?
I know.... It's easier to complain than it is to find a workaround.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
with respect, the fact that the ligature works in a different way than you would want (and that may suit someone else, by the way, if it is the same wit a generic ligature could it be that YOU want to place the ligature where is not supposed to?) on a student ligature and student mouthpiece (which is what a 4C is) and then issue such a complaint on Yamaha sounds quite a bit exaggerated.
The ligature should at least hold the reed in place where the line on the mouthpiece starts and it doesn't even come close to that.

·
38,889 Posts
well it may be a not original ligature , I have never seen ( and I have seen quite a few) an ill fitting original Yamaha ligature

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,136 Posts
Get a Rovner.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im really thinking about why I like the 62 and 4c mouthpiece so much. Yes the ligature is too big but its more of an annoyance than problem. I like the horn and mp because i feel like it keeps the air in the horn for a while and lets the horn vibrate for a while. What are the design characteristics of the 4c and are ther any other similar type mouthpieces out there to try?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Im really thinking about why I like the 62 and 4c mouthpiece so much. Yes the ligature is too big but its more of an annoyance than problem. I like the horn and mp because i feel like it keeps the air in the horn for a while and lets the horn vibrate for a while. What are the design characteristics of the 4c and are ther any other similar type mouthpieces out there to try?
Very small tip opening, short facing curve, no baffle, low floor, small square chamber.
The Selmer Paris S80 and S90 have similar stuff going on. The S90 has a slightly longer facing and slightly... less small chamber than the S80, but I don't know how they relate to the 4C.
Also some Yanagisawa pieces are in that same vein, but I've never messed with them so I don't know specifics.

AFAIK that's about it. Selmer actually pioneered the square chamber in the context of sax with the S80, and it works well for a lot of classical players and a few in the French jazz scene but few others seem to have any love for it, so if that happens to be something you like about it, your options are very limited.

Funny how personal preference works - I don't like a 4C on alto, and on tenor I can barely even play one much less like it. Whatever works for you though!

·
38,889 Posts
...What are the design characteristics of the 4c and are there any other similar type mouthpieces out there to try?
They are the most “ middle of the road “ mouthpiece on the market.

The throat, at least of the one I have in front of my eyes, is horsehoe shaped, not square . The CUSTOM pieces ( 4CM) are square

1 - 12 of 12 Posts