Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like how it plays. Reed friendly and resistant but clear and easy blowing. I feel like it make the horn vibrate really well. The tip design is different from any other piece Ive seen. Can anyone offer insight into its characteristcs and what other mouthpieces would be similar to try?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Have you not been properly indoctrinated to need a ginormous tip opening and a superstiff reed, thereby making a decent tone from the $900 mouthpiece impossible? Sounds like you've found a winning combo already

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha good one. I wonder why pros dont use the 4c then. It is working great for me. But ive been on alto the past year exclusively. So maybe its be ause my tenor chops are weak. It is an awkward feelimg havimg spent so much money on other mouthpieces before. It makes you wonder.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
I kept the 4C that came with my 62 and use it when playing in tenor pits and concert venues.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,817 Posts
well, first of all this is a mouthpiece that wouldn’t necessarily fit everyone’s taste (or we all would play one since it costs pennies) and it comes with the horns for a reason. It’s a general purpose piece. Its sound, resistance, manufacture, materials are the most general possible, non specific and cheap as chips.

This is why it comes with a horn, not knowing who is going to buy it. The tip that you so appreciate has never struck me as anything special other than it is thick, the tip and rails are very much thicker that they would be in an piece made in a different way and are comparable to to other similarly made pieces (Rico, ESM which is the Jupiter standard) .

Some good players use this mouthpiece on soprano (for example), but even Yamaha offers the CM series as an upgrade. Would they call it a “ custom” piece if it weren’t an upgrade? No?

Not only the materials are better (the CM series is made of Ebonite) but the design is different too. Everything is finer and better made.

Prices, even of the CM series, are still very low, way lower than other comparable brands.

The C series comes out of a mold and goes as is into the case of all saxophones, the series CM is CNC’d has a certain amount of hand finish.

Like everything that implies a certain amount of human work it costs more.

the fact that even an humble mouthpiece such as the Yamaha 4C can play well in the mouth of a good player is only witnessing that the most important element in sound production is the player.

No one can buy chops in any box, being mouthpieces, reeds or saxophones’ boxes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts