Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm about to start on sax so I went to the shop and bought a Yamaha 4c mouthpiece and YAC-1607 ligature for my alto sax. The ligature felt really cheap and I had great difficulty installing the reed. I got a Claude Lakey 4x4 jazz, a Selmer metal jazz and a Britone 5 star with the sax, but there's only a ligature to the selmer metal.
Any "universal" ligature you could recommend (primarily for the yamaha)?
Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,584 Posts
Keep the Yamaha lig. It's pretty good.
Make sure you get the adjustment screws opened up and that you have it close to the window of the mouthpiece when you insert the reed.
Hold the reed snug while you slide it down into place.

If you really don't like it, take the mouthpiece to the music shop and try a few that you think you may like.
Many beginners find the Rovner ligs pretty 'user friendly'.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Yamaha ligs are actually pretty decent - there are many other metal ligs out there that feel cheaper and flimsier.
It realy just needs a little time to loosen up after a few days it will mould itself to the shape of the mouthpiece and your reed.

otoh bandmommy is totally right - a Rovner is very user friendly and a good other option.

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
I agree totally. I use that ligatire on Soprano and ordered it especially. IMO they are a great two screw ligature. You said you had great difficulty installing the reed ? Can you be more specific about this ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe it's lack routine, but I find it hard to to keep the reed aligned and simultaneously tighten the screws.
Thanks, I'll have a look at the rover.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Believe me what takes you 2 brow-sweating minutes now will take 30 casual seconds in just a few weeks.
Not that you should ever be nonchalant in reed placement, but it gets to be second nature I went through the same thing only recently. :)

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Maybe it's lack routine, but I find it hard to to keep the reed aligned and simultaneously tighten the screws.
Look its not a complex task. My advice would be to practice it with a bad reed, and stay with the yamaha. The Rovners "deaden" the sound and IMO they are not a great ligature.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Just put the reed and lig on and get the reed lined up front to back so it's close to where it needs to be. Don't worry about side to side too much. Tighten the screws so that the reed does not slide around easily but don't make them tight. Now do your fine adjustments and tighten fully. If you are worried about the reed moving side to side hold the mouthpiece with your left hand such that top of your thumb and index finger are holding the reed as well. The reed is unlikely to move front to back very much if it is wet and the table of your mouthpiece is flat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I've inherited a selmer alto mark VI from 1956. My first thought was to sell it and buy a new sax, but i decided to keep it. after reading about the mark VI here I'm glad I kept it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts