Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do they have the exact mechanical design, but just different material (plastic vs hard rubber?)

thanks

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and the facing, tip opening, chamber is all the same for the same model, say 4C.
That is the sound should be almost the same?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
I've had a couple of pupils over the years with these H/R Yamaha M/P's and they have always sounded 'stuffy' compared to the cheapo ones. They have never really caught on and I personally would not recomend them.
OTOH the plastic soprano pieces are very, very good in whatever tip opening--I like the 5C and 6C

·
Registered
143 Posts
The 4C and 4C Custom are different designs. The 4C is similar to the Rousseau R series, while the 4C Custom is more like the Selmer S80.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
Quite different and not just the material. The chambers are the biggest difference and I have found that the Customs have a tip that is .002" larger than the standards. I too find that (at least on soprano) the standard models are far better. A 5C has the same tip as a 4CM which is stupid and confusing marketing. Also Yamaha doesn't make really open facings. I think the widest alto mouthpiece is like a Selmer D.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4CM = 4C custom?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
I've had a couple of pupils over the years with these H/R Yamaha M/P's and they have always sounded 'stuffy' compared to the cheapo ones. They have never really caught on and I personally would not recomend them.
OTOH the plastic soprano pieces are very, very good in whatever tip opening--I like the 5C and 6C
That's been my experience of them too, at least for alto and tenor pieces.

Regards,

·
Registered
397 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts