Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Yamaha 62 tenor at an amazing price I couldn't pass up and am using a 4c mouthpiece. I like it because its easy to play in tune. I especially notice and appreciate the palm keys. They come out fat and in tune and very effortlessly. Can anyone suggest another mouthpiece that might have more character, but still be as easy to play. I think after about .80 tip size I don't gain anything.

I got a New Vintage hard rubber Otto Link 5*. And it is great! Great character and sound, however it gets too bright for my taste in the upper register.

Any suggestions appreciated. I had been thinking about a Meyer NY vintage tenor 5* but for no reason other that curiosity.

One other point is that moving forward my main horn will be Alto- I will spend most of my time on alto. I have tried a 7 Retro Revival super D on tenor and it sounds AWESOME, however I don't really have the chops and notice I can play out of tune. This is why I'm looking for something similar to the 4c but- again with more character and maybe a little more open without sacrificing ease of play and intonation.

Hope to hear from all you 62ers!

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
I currently own 3 Alto mouthpieces. The first is an Ottolink STM 6*. Nice dark piece that's very flexible, but it kinda sounds a little tubby when I'm trying to push it.

The second piece is a Yamaha 4C. Also a great piece, especially given the price point. It is bright, clear, and flexible. However, I feel like it gets a bit too brittle when pushing it, especially up high.

The 3rd piece is a Phil Barone NY 6M, which is supposed to be a direct clone of an old Meyer. This is the piece that I haven't moved from since I got it. It seems to have the best attributes of the Link and Yamaha without the qualities that I don't care for.

I'm using Rigotti Gold 3 Mediums on all 3 mouthpieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,589 Posts
Morgan 3C

It was my classical mouthpiece for years until I dropped it, and had Ed Zentera open it to .090”. Played with efficiency, it can deliver plenty of dynamic range and almost always has a great sound and locked intonation. I only say “almost” because someone will inevitably come along that cannot get a good sound out of anything.

JunkDude carries the Morgan mouthpiece line, and you already know the people that apply the facings.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
SuperAction- Thanks man! For the record I'm Talking about TENOR. But this is helpful,too.
Well, I dropped the ball missing that very important T word in the first sentence of your original post. :lol: It's rare to see anyone discussing the 4C tenor piece, so I wrongfully assume alto even when tenor is clearly stated.

Regarding tenor pieces, the Meyers are alright, but most players seem to prefer Link based pieces. Phil-tone pieces are my personal favorites in regards to well made vintage Link clones that won't break the bank. I use a Phil-Tone Sapphire in a .110, and it's the most even tenor piece that I own. Getting one with a .80 tip using a fairly stiff reed may fit your criteria well.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Maybe a Brilhart Ebolin? I don't know how they play on Yamahas, but I generally find them easy to play and to have more character than a 4C.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,387 Posts
I would say the Meyer you are considering will do the trick. It will certainly be rounder and smoother than a Yama 4c and it won't overly brighten the upper registers like the Link. Even a contemporary Meyer would be a decent choice.

Hite Premier is a nice, readily available cheapie which is more sonically colorful than a Yama. I believe the tip of those hovers right around a .080, too.

Depends how much you wanna spend. Do you have a budget or is the sky the limit ?

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
I would say the Meyer you are considering will do the trick. It will certainly be rounder and smoother than a Yama 4c and it won't overly brighten the upper registers like the Link. Even a contemporary Meyer would be a decent choice.

Hite Premier is a nice, readily available cheapie which is more sonically colorful than a Yama. I believe the tip of those hovers right around a .080, too.

Depends how much you wanna spend. Do you have a budget or is the sky the limit ?
I don't know anything about the Yamaha, but I've been playing a Meyer on tenor since 1978 and also have a HR Link ( the "New Vintage") at the same tip opening. I find the Meyer is a bit brighter across the range than the Link, myself.

Another good one to try if you can get one is the Brilhart Ebolin. Weiner Music is selling off old stock so you might or might not be able to get one in your preferred tip opening. There are probably a lot of used ones for sale but the Brilhart numbers aren't necessarily meaningful. These pieces play extremely well for their low price, a little brighter than a Link, easy to play. The NOS one I bought a few months ago plays exactly like the older one I have with the same tip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts