Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm an experienced saxplayer but new to the clarinet.
I recently bought 2 clarinets at an auction, with the intention the keep the best one and sell the other.

The first is a Yamaha 26 II and the other a Vito Resotone 3.
They both are in good shape (as far as i can tell).
At this moment it's hard to tell which one sounds or plays best, because I have to get used to the embouchure and the way to shape the sound (and the awkward register switch... :eek: )

Which one would you prefer?

Thanks,
Wim

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Either and or.

They are both good student clarinets. The Vitos are nice. A Vito V-40 is perhaps the best of the plastic bodied Clarinets. There are other more esoteric (harder to find) models around such as the Forte etc but bang for buck, i think the Vito V-40 delivers more than most.

The Resotone 3 is the workhorse of the school band systems, although Yamaha and Jupiter seem to have supplanted Vito these days. Even so, there's bugger all difference between the two you have as far as quality and sound goes. I'd recommend you keep whichever feels and sounds best to you.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, so if there's no real difference I 'just' have to work on my clarinet chops and see which one works best for me.
Thanks for the reply!

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
5,049 Posts
I agree, in good condition, they both should be just fine. IMO Yamaha is usually made better (can't remember this model though). Tone is different usually, but you can only see if you notice a difference and if you prefer one over the other if you try them. There's something I like better about both of them.

Re the Forte Dog Pants mentioned, I'm not sure if I've ever tried a student Bb, but I have a (supposedly professional model) Forte C clarinet and it's disappointing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,247 Posts
It also seems to me the Yamaha is of better quality and intonation, but the Vito is amazing in terms of sound and projection. I use a Vito (blue version) as my all-weather back-up. It looks quite funky.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Horn for Hire: I started out on a Vito and it was a great little horn. Bundy's, back then, were also great student horns...still are as well as vito. Now Yamaha also makes great horns and they should be considered for anyone learning to double. I lucked out and started on clarinet, so transition to sax was not that bad. Whichever horn you get the best sound from is the one you want. Remember...clarinet is ALL embochure, at least 90%, anyway. It takes time to get over the octave break and get comfortable.

After 47 years of playing clarinet I'm going to go along with dexdex. The Yamaha's are really well built and you most likely won't have to up-grade if you are going to continue to double on clarinet. If you do upgrade...get a Vintage horn like a Selmer 10G, Series 9 and 9*. Buffet R13's are holding their re-sale value like gold...they will be way expensive and not worth the money unless you can get a killer deal and then get a professional pad job. You can find the Selmer and LeBlanc lines for $800.00 to about $1,100.00 and you will never need another clarinet. They are fantastic horns and, in my opinion, play better than anything new on the market today. Good luck!!

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,708 Posts
I got a Vito Resotone 3 for $52. Most horn for the money ever!!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Horn for Hire: I started out on a Vito and it was a great little horn. Bundy's, back then, were also great student horns...still are as well as vito. Now Yamaha also makes great horns and they should be considered for anyone learning to double. I lucked out and started on clarinet, so transition to sax was not that bad. Whichever horn you get the best sound from is the one you want. Remember...clarinet is ALL embochure, at least 90%, anyway. It takes time to get over the octave break and get comfortable.

After 47 years of playing clarinet I'm going to go along with dexdex. The Yamaha's are really well built and you most likely won't have to up-grade if you are going to continue to double on clarinet. If you do upgrade...get a Vintage horn like a Selmer 10G, Series 9 and 9*. Buffet R13's are holding their re-sale value like gold...they will be way expensive and not worth the money unless you can get a killer deal and then get a professional pad job. You can find the Selmer and LeBlanc lines for $800.00 to about $1,100.00 and you will never need another clarinet. They are fantastic horns and, in my opinion, play better than anything new on the market today. Good luck!!
Thanks for the info!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts