Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I would like to know how is a YFL-24N flute? Is it any good for students? How much would it aprox. be worth in good condition (after repair)?

Thanks very much!

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Unless I am mistaken, the fact that it has only 2 digits suggests that it is pretty old.

The "N" means nickel plated. I have found the nickel plated ones to be inferior (in tone) to the silver plated ones, but I don't think it is anything to do with the plating. I think this model was probably made cheaper in several ways, and it is the ways OTHER than the plating that probably make it inferior. It could be a difference as small as a sharper edge on the embouchure hole.

·
Registered
47 Posts
clarnibass said:
Hello

I would like to know how is a YFL-24N flute? Is it any good for students? How much would it aprox. be worth in good condition (after repair)?

Thanks very much!
Those are older Yamaha flutes and the intonation is not near as good as the new models. Yamaha has improved their flutes a lot since the YFL-24N days. I was told that the 24N was made back in the 80's.

·
17,204 Posts
In my parts CD, it is not listed. I'm sure it was superceded by the 3-digit numbering system. Even 3-digit model numbers such as YFL-211S are listed as being from 1979-1990, when they were superceded by the same numbers with series 2 suffixes.

So my guess is that it is pre 1979. A lot of improvements since then.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,032 Posts
The N may mean nickel plated which is annoying as it is slick. Mostly used for band rental programs where they can just wipe them down on return.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
That's interesting, because there have been an increasing number of these listed on eBay...some claim sterling headjoints.

·
17,204 Posts
In my experience the suffix N has always meant nickel plating.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts