Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: Yam LATEST alto 875ex models..."II", "04", other? which is what, what's the difference?

The latest YAS 875EX (alto) is most commonly referred to as a "II" or "Mark II" or less often "02" latest model, around the U.S., I think? However ONLINE I am also seeing YAS 875EX "04" and, I just asked a seller about it. They have an EB listing with picture(s) of the orignal 875EX alto model and case, etc., but in the listing and extended description they are definitely describing the latest model, so I asked them about it. They replied "we have the latest '04' model, factory-new, unopened, untested...". This is an outfit in Texas. I was getting suspicious this was just a Europe/Asia nomenclature, instead of the "II/Mark II" commonly seen describing it in the U.S. But now...? Can anybody who knows explain what's going on here, and what's the difference between any of the latest YAS 875EX model -- "II", "Mark II", "02", "04", or any other description -- or are they all exactly the same thing? Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,132 Posts
Never heard of a "04" and I would be very careful before sending these people any money. The actual name is YAS-875EX and YAS-875EXii. They are both great saxophones. the ii had some minor improvements. You can read online about the differences. There was also a YAS-875 (no EX).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Those numbers, 03/04/etc, seem to appear on the boxes and nowhere else. You won't see them on the serial numbers. I'd imagine they may signify a more recent production (i.e. /04 is newer than /03), but for all intents and purposes an EX is an EX and an EXII is an EXII.

The only other difference I can think of within the EX's themselves is that early ones shipped with a G1 neck and later ones shipped with a V1 neck.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those numbers, 03/04/etc, seem to appear on the boxes and nowhere else. You won't see them on the serial numbers. I'd imagine they may signify a more recent production (i.e. /04 is newer than /03), but for all intents and purposes an EX is an EX and an EXII is an EXII.

The only other difference I can think of within the EX's themselves is that early ones shipped with a G1 neck and later ones shipped with a V1 neck.
There are the TWO generations of the Yamaha 875EX ALTO of which I am aware -- the original EX that succeeded the original 875 (alto first in 2002 or 2003), and the NEW (what to call it?) 875EX that came out within the last few years (alto ONLY so far)...the NEW generation 875EX (ALTO only AFAIK) that we're discussing. It has revised tone hole sizes and placement, revised keywork, and a new Selmer-style front F for starters. Sellers variously refer to it using the nomenclatures (and possibly others) above. None of these (beyond "Custom EX" and "YAS-875EX") would be stamped anywhere on the horn. I'm just trying to learn the difference, if any -- maybe different according to distribution in the UK, Europe, Asia, etc. vs. the U.S. ...? I also suspect some U.S. sources are getting product from overseas and reselling in the US -- as most "conventional" (?) U.S. sources refer to the horn as the 875EX II or "Mark II" or similar...but am seeing more "4" or "04" lately...

·
Registered
116 Posts
There are the TWO generations of the Yamaha 875EX ALTO of which I am aware -- the original EX that succeeded the original 875 (alto first in 2002 or 2003), and the NEW (what to call it?) 875EX that came out within the last few years (alto ONLY so far)...the NEW generation 875EX (ALTO only AFAIK) that we're discussing. It has revised tone hole sizes and placement, revised keywork, and a new Selmer-style front F for starters. Sellers variously refer to it using the nomenclatures (and possibly others) above. None of these (beyond "Custom EX" and "YAS-875EX") would be stamped anywhere on the horn. I'm just trying to learn the difference, if any -- maybe different according to distribution in the UK, Europe, Asia, etc. vs. the U.S. ...? I also suspect some U.S. sources are getting product from overseas and reselling in the US -- as most "conventional" (?) U.S. sources refer to the horn as the 875EX II or "Mark II" or similar...but am seeing more "4" or "04" lately...
There's only two generations of EX, like you said. EX and EXII. Those are the only two nomenclatures that matter.

Whatever 03's, 04's, or anything else you're seeing is the stuff Yamaha prints on the box label (or maybe the warranty card). I'm not going to say those numbers aren't significant, because they probably mean something to Yamaha, but to the consumer they don't mean anything. There are no Mark 3, Mark 4, or higher, 875EX Yamahas. Any seller purporting as much is either confused or misrepresenting their sale.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only actual name for these horns (standard versions anyway) is "YAS-875EX"; the label on the box mine came in says "YAS-875EX//04". I still do not have any good idea what that "04" means, but mine is a "II,", "ii,", "Mark II," or whatever it may be called -- with the latest revisions, keywork, etc. Over time it has been furnished with a different neck (G1) and case, earlier 4CM mouthpiece design, etc. So possibilities there...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts