Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,484 Posts
Dang! That was really good. Boots is one of my favorites! I have two of his transcriptions and one of them comes very close to your rendition! Now I know how it's "supposed" to go. Double dang!! I'm not even close! (Well, actually I'm just not that good!) That was very, very nice Greg. Thanks for the post. Definitely going to check out your website!

Cheers!

·
3,494 Posts
Great playing :D

You shouldn't have to read it :(

The best part is the beret ;)
You just need a set of shades and you'll be there.. :TGNCHK:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
2,377 Posts
I think to totally appreciate how really great that was you have to try and play it yourself. I have tried many a time and just can't quite get it right. Granted I am not a pro like some of you folks but I think this tune would be a challenge for anyone. It doesn't surprise me however GHawk, your Amazing Grace was simply amazing and the best version I've ever heard!

·
5,484 Posts
I think to totally appreciate how really great that was you have to try and play it yourself. I have tried many a time and just can't quite get it right. Granted I am not a pro like some of you folks but I think this tune would be a challenge for anyone. It doesn't surprise me however GHawk, your Amazing Grace was simply amazing and the best version I've ever heard!
+1

I haven't listened to Amazing Grace but completely agree with attempting to play Yakety Sax. (and, I have to agree on the non-pro aspect as well. Me no pro neither :()

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
752 Posts
Fantastic playing, Greg! Gives me something to aspire to. :):)

·
1,269 Posts
Great playing! You made me pick up the sheet and try to play it for the first time of my life :)
Did You make the backing track?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks again, guys! A Train, thanks for your very kind words and I'm so glad that you like "Amazing Grace"...it's one of my favorite tunes to play, too.
The backing track and music to "Yakety Sax" can be bought from Hal Leonard...the book/trax are called "Nashville Classics". There are 12 tunes in the book and on the backing cd, and most are pretty good. "Yakety Sax" needs to be just a tad faster, but it's still a great tune.
SaxPlayer1004...I've been playing out of the side of my mouth like that since about 1968. I've been asked why I play like that and I honestly don't know the answer! It's just comfortable that way. My undergrad degree is in classical, and I had to really concentrate on playing with the mouthpiece centered. Now, I don't think about it so back to the side it goes haha!

·
4,160 Posts
No worries, was just curious if that was a recent development or not. You do see a lot of high brass players playing out of the sides. French horn players seem to be the worse about it. Regardless, you sound great, and I really don't give a rats a** what you look like when playing, just felt like pulling someones leg. Had to find SOME criticism in there, lord knows the music didn't have anything

·
SOTW Pragmatist
2,900 Posts
Shoot me a high quality mp3 and I'll speed it up for you. I've got some new alpha software I'm testing that is incredible, no artifacts at all. PM me.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
cpete...I would LOVE that. I have downloaded Audacity, but one of the trax that I raised a half-step has some funky stuff going on, so I'm not crazy about using it to change the audio speed. This track, I think is about 116 bpm and it needs to be about 132 or so. I'll shoot you a pm.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
jazzcat58...Boots (and I don't like this term but I can't think of anything else) was my idol growing up.
OBTW, you can't fool us... this is a club... you STILL haven't grown up.:D (even your hat says so...:D)
Yep...ya' got me! I'll NEVER grow up...just ask my wife:D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
Gregg,

Your playing is great, but you can learn a few things about delivery from this video:

If you could look like THAT when you played, it wouldn't matter the speed. Of course, the full orchestra backing helps....

Pete

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Greg - Great playing! I'm trying to learn Yakety Sax now and can vouch for the fact that its not easy.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
jrvinson45...Merry Christmas to you too!
Bob...thanks!
SactoPete...not fair. I could never wear that color dress haha!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts