Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something kind of different for me. Playing at a restaurant...thanks, Boots RIP.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Jared!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the kind words, all. Pete, this is a new arrangement of that song for me (worked on it for 2 days) so I don't have it down good enough to play it without the music, yet...BUT, I'll learn it eventually. I wish the track was just a tad faster, and the breaks weren't in there, but it is what it is! Thanks for your comments...I REALLY appreciate it.

SaxPlayer1004, J.D. is right - that music can't get too close...I would have it 6 inches in front of my face if I could...my eyesight isn't what it used to be. As far as my soprano sound, I really don't try to sound like Kenny G! Maybe that's not a bad thing, though! I've had basically the same sound for about 35 years or so...don't see it changing much haha!

Thanks to all who took the time to comment. It's a journey and I want to be better tomorrow than I am today.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I forgot - ansyf125, I don't know why I play on the side. I do it on tenor, too. Drove my college sax teacher mad.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jazzcat58...good eye! It is an Antigua 590 - I can't say enough good things about this horn.
Mike1955, thank you! You just made my day. Boots (and I don't like this term but I can't think of anything else) was my idol growing up. I wore out many Boots Randolph records!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Buck, thank you!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks again, guys! A Train, thanks for your very kind words and I'm so glad that you like "Amazing Grace"...it's one of my favorite tunes to play, too.
The backing track and music to "Yakety Sax" can be bought from Hal Leonard...the book/trax are called "Nashville Classics". There are 12 tunes in the book and on the backing cd, and most are pretty good. "Yakety Sax" needs to be just a tad faster, but it's still a great tune.
SaxPlayer1004...I've been playing out of the side of my mouth like that since about 1968. I've been asked why I play like that and I honestly don't know the answer! It's just comfortable that way. My undergrad degree is in classical, and I had to really concentrate on playing with the mouthpiece centered. Now, I don't think about it so back to the side it goes haha!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
cpete...I would LOVE that. I have downloaded Audacity, but one of the trax that I raised a half-step has some funky stuff going on, so I'm not crazy about using it to change the audio speed. This track, I think is about 116 bpm and it needs to be about 132 or so. I'll shoot you a pm.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
jazzcat58...Boots (and I don't like this term but I can't think of anything else) was my idol growing up.
OBTW, you can't fool us... this is a club... you STILL haven't grown up.:D (even your hat says so...:D)
Yep...ya' got me! I'll NEVER grow up...just ask my wife:D

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
jrvinson45...Merry Christmas to you too!
Bob...thanks!
SactoPete...not fair. I could never wear that color dress haha!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts