Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something kind of different for me. Playing at a restaurant...thanks, Boots RIP.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,524 Posts
Whoa! That was awesome. You play it really well. And I love your running embellishments. Thanks!

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,105 Posts
Something kind of different for me. Playing at a restaurant...thanks, Boots RIP.
Really really nice!

Only one criticism if you don't mind (easily fixed), is that this would be better if you weren't reading the music. I don't mean it would sound any better,you sound good enough as it is, but just be a nicer performance IMHO.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,160 Posts
Weird gap in the recording before the bridge... May just be me. You sound great man, really.

On what Pete said, even if you had the stand pushed down some since it doesn't look like you're actually reading much of anything. I know it acts as a great sound shield so you can hear yourself better. You sound great though, no criticisms to make

Now that soprano playing. HUGE criticisms on that...

Kenny G...

STRAIGHT

You were probably doing this long before he was famous, but gah...
You sound fantastic on soprano though, I'll give you that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
Greg, that was a fantastic rendition of a fun and challenging tune!

Pete

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,725 Posts
hey saxplayer 1004.you must be younger... we cant see the music as good when we get a little older... lol not that he is that old or anything.. good sax playing. I enjoyed your website too. thanks for the good music

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the kind words, all. Pete, this is a new arrangement of that song for me (worked on it for 2 days) so I don't have it down good enough to play it without the music, yet...BUT, I'll learn it eventually. I wish the track was just a tad faster, and the breaks weren't in there, but it is what it is! Thanks for your comments...I REALLY appreciate it.

SaxPlayer1004, J.D. is right - that music can't get too close...I would have it 6 inches in front of my face if I could...my eyesight isn't what it used to be. As far as my soprano sound, I really don't try to sound like Kenny G! Maybe that's not a bad thing, though! I've had basically the same sound for about 35 years or so...don't see it changing much haha!

Thanks to all who took the time to comment. It's a journey and I want to be better tomorrow than I am today.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I forgot - ansyf125, I don't know why I play on the side. I do it on tenor, too. Drove my college sax teacher mad.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jazzcat58...good eye! It is an Antigua 590 - I can't say enough good things about this horn.
Mike1955, thank you! You just made my day. Boots (and I don't like this term but I can't think of anything else) was my idol growing up. I wore out many Boots Randolph records!

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
GHawk, that is a GREAT rendition! Free-flowing, light, and fun, but technically very accurate. The tone was perfect. In my mind, that is exactly how it should be played. Now I'm going to go off and TRY to play it like you!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.