Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original recording of this song (key of A) on tenor seems to include a low A. Am I just hearing this wrong or is Boots really hitting a low A? If not, what is the lowest note in the original key of this song? Can anyone point me to the sheet music for the original arrangement?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Um, no. The first two notes are F# glissing up to an A above the staff for Tenor. Remember a tenor plays in the treble clef but it's concert sounding pitch is a 9th below

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,287 Posts
In the Tenor version I have the key is A and it's mostly played in the upper octave and the lowest note seems to be regular low A (no octave key) in bars 40, 41 and 49 and there seems to be an Altissimo F# in bars 11, 19, 47 and 55 as well.

The first few notes on my version are E F# and then two A's all with the octave key.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Try this for a starter...

·
3,287 Posts
Yes that version would be better as it's in the key of G for Tenor and so the lowest note is regular G with no octave key and the highest note is E with the octave key rather than in the key of A which has the lowest note being regular A with no octave key and the highest note being Altissimo F#.

What key was it originally recorded in?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hmmmm...I'll have to go back and look this one over...I thought I learned it off the original recording from the "Yakkin' Sax Man" album. I learned it in the key of C concert. I do know that Boots re-recorded it in a different key later and played it live later in a different key. In that version it goes down to low D on the sax and maybe ledger line B for the highest note. It yaks really well in that range.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hmmmm...I'll have to go back and look this one over...I thought I learned it off the original recording from the "Yakkin' Sax Man" album. I learned it in the key of C concert. I do know that Boots re-recorded it in a different key later and played it live later in a different key. In that version it goes down to low D on the sax and maybe ledger line B for the highest note. It yaks really well in that range.
I have transposed it for alto in that range, but play it on whatever horn you want...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
Same as anyone else, finger the low Bb and blow it into the inside of your left thigh/knee.

·
32,938 Posts
Do you have a link for the performance you cite?

·
32,938 Posts
OK, I listened again and still haven't seen/heard a low A. Where is it (time)?

·
5,444 Posts
Thanks for all the posts, guys. It sounds to me like the original (I.E. This recording):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riirucPUbnM&feature=related

Is in the key of A, low register, and goes like this:

A, A, F#, E, C, C#, E, C#, F#, E, C#, B, A

Am I wrong? If not, how is Boots getting that low A out of his tenor?
That does not sound like any recording I have of Boots on Yakety Sax. Neither of the arrangements on the Yakety Sax or Best of albums use this rendition. This is just a Yakety Sax arrangement used by the Benny Hill show. I don't believe Boots blew that arrangement for the show.

Checked two copies of a Yakety Sax transcription. One is from Boot's very own Nashville Classics. One is from John Laughter. There is no A below middle C on any of those arrangements.

·
5,444 Posts
OK, I listened again and still haven't seen/heard a low A. Where is it (time)?
+1

Also, Boots plays it in A major, just as stated above. Of course, I'm sure there are times when he might have played it in any key if desired but the recordings all seem to be A.

·
32,938 Posts
Damn you, Willie. Now I've got that tune stuck in my head. I'll have to whistle "Polly Wolly Doodle" for a while to reset my mind.

Thank goodness for stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXvQDsXN3iw

1 - 20 of 42 Posts