Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, a post on another thread about wireless mics got me thinking:

I played in the Dominican last month on a Shure PGX wireless system, but rather than using a 98 H/C mic (that is standard on the Shure horn systems), the sound guy plugged in an Audio Technica Pro 35X.

Now, the Pro 35X is a condensor mic with a full size XLR end. I'm guessing that this particular one, having a mini-XLR end, was a home made job. The end result was a MUCH better sound than I'd anticipated. In fact, it is my favorite live rig I've played on, save my AMT.

I plan to talk to a repairman in the local guitar shop to see if he knows anything about this and whether the power constraints of the AT mic match up with what the PGX4 transmitter can handle.

Have any of you tried this mod? If so, were there any power issues?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
You can easily find a mini-xlr connector and change it out w/ the reg xlr.

Only power issue is phantom which is supplied to the 98 or the 35 in the same way.

PHANTOM POWER REQUIREMENTS

AT 35: 11-52V DC, 2 mA typical

98 H/C: 11 to 52 Vdc Phantom

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I will make sure the shop knows the specs on both.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I have both - The AT35 and the Beta 98. I'm amazed you like the AT better. Maybe there was another variable in the equation that you missed. The Beta is hands down a better mic for sax. That being said - There is a propriatary mini to XLR available for the AT

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have both - The AT35 and the Beta 98. I'm amazed you like the AT better. Maybe there was another variable in the equation that you missed. The Beta is hands down a better mic for sax. That being said - There is a propriatary mini to XLR available for the AT
There is a lot of veriables either way. I may have missed sometihng- doubtful, as there are only 3 settings on the pack, and only so many spots on the bell to clip it. But sure, maybe I missed something.

Perhaps the biggest variable I have ever seen is the soundman. We have an excellent one! That tends to be many horn player's downfall on a live gig- the guy mixing you must be on point.

Either way, the AT was a great performer for the festival of 3400 people in the Dominican Rep when I used it with the Shure system. So, I'm willing to give it a go!

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,794 Posts
Perhaps the biggest variable I have ever seen is the soundman. We have an excellent one! That tends to be many horn player's downfall on a live gig- the guy mixing you must be on point.
Yup!!!!!!!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
That's kind of what I was implying. I'd try both from a "demo the mic" perspective without the band and with you on the boards controls before giving up a Beta 98 for an AT35. The 35 used to be my back-up mic. These days it lives in my main bands rehersal facility. It's usable, but simply not as good as my Beta. They are a bit "brighter" than the beta, but if you need more highs - better to EQ the 98 because the rest of the tone is (IMO) superior on the Beta 98

1 - 8 of 8 Posts