Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure why not.

Blues By Five was the first Jazz album I bought, and I thought about the sound of it as well, it's a very rustic sound, Jazz albums had a real neat room sound back then. It's just good ol fashioned gutbucket.

Cats out of tune as Wynton said, but the feeling is there completely. I transcribed that solo in the 8th grade when I took trumpet lessons. If I can recall, what thrilled me most about Miles' playing here was how he was sync'd with the Drummer (I had a heavy Jazz Drumset background). Now presently that I understand more what the Bass really means in Jazz I'm even more awed by what's happening harmonically. Paul is playing some hip shapes.

Dig the 3nd chorus where everybody's diggin into the guts of the tune, this band is really playing together, not just *improvising* but actually playing together, unlike what Wynton was sayin about Knozz-Moe-King. Anybody can improvise, but the true joy of Jazz is improvising together and landing on your feet every time. Miles really understood that with his bands, there's a real report.

There is tons of Armstrong in Miles, about a year ago I was checking out the Hot Five and Hot Seven pretty deeply, and it hit me like a ton of bricks how deep of an impression Louis made in Jazz.

Melancholy from Vol 2.

As for Dizzy on UMMG. Good gracious. I hadn't heard that one before, I do however have him playing that tune with another Big Band. Dizzy to me felt like he could literally play anything and make it work. He introduced alot of melodic shapes that were never seen before in Jazz. There's so much motion in Dizzy, reminds me of a tap dancer. Diz and Miles are similar as they played with a great sense of drama. You have a sense when they are going to play high or whatever, just from the way Dizzy used space you can feel the explosion coming.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dig Sam Woodyard on drums. A highhat and crosstick and he propels the universe. Just between the bass and drummer of Blues By Five and UMMG you can hear an entirely separate universe of Jazz style. Entirely different but bound by the same root, but free.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts