Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the off chance someone here could help with suggestions or practical information for the possibility of repairs, this is what I am experiencing.

One day, I turned the two on, and did not see the graphic display that shows the VL70 is receiving the data from the WX5 controller.
- I factory reset the VL70 and tried a bunch of modes, although I'm pretty sure it should have worked after a reset.
- I reset the WX5 by pressing the three buttons mentioned in the manual
- I hooked the WX5 up to my computer via MIDI and it works, so the part that processes keys and MIDI is fine.

If I could find someone with a WX5 around here I could bring the VL70 to them and see if it's that, or if I find someone with a VL70, I could bring the WX5 and test it.
It could also be the cable, although that would usually be intermittent before dying completely.

I'm told they don't make these things anymore. As I'm located in France, I can't send it for repair outside Europe, and even then it could be overly expensive vs buying something else, like say, a used AE5 or AE10.

Any other experience or suggestions you have?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
7,638 Posts
I don't have my VL available, but you might see if there is a slide switch on the back that switches the input from the front MIDI input (WX jack) to a rear 5 Pin DIN MIDI input.

Insights and incites by Notes

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yes there is a switch, but it switches the "host" connector between PC, Mac and MIDI and has nothing to do with the WX5 input.

·
7,638 Posts
Sorry, my VL is on the gig. It must be the MFC10 pedal I'm thinking of.

Notes

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, thanks for trying! I guess I'll need to find the gear somewhere and see which end is bad :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FWIW, it works again, I did mess with that switch and when it's in MIDI it now works. The sounds are wrong, either because everything is reset to factory or something did stop working. Anyway, may thanks for the reply, it dislodged the stone or whatever was not happening.

·
7,638 Posts
You might have said the correct bad words before you hit it.

Without the technicians service manual, I don't know the right bad words nor the place to smack it, so it's all a matter of luck.

Notes

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe this happened - From the manual:

NOTES
• If a WX controller is unplugged while the VL70-m power is on, the breath level may
remain fixed at “0” and subsequently played notes may not sound. If this happens, turn the VL70-m power off and then on again.

·
7,638 Posts
I didn't know that. Probably because I never unplug the WX while the power is on. At the end of the gig I turn everything off in this order:
1) Powered speakers
2) Powered monitors
3) Computers
4) Synth modules

Then when everything is powered down that has an on/off switch on it, I'll turn the power conditioner off and only then will I start unplugging things.

I've been gigging with wind synth since the WX7 in the 1980s, and never unplugged the unit while powered. It's just my way.

Notes

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always left the WX5 on, because it's powered by the cable to the VL70. So both are turned on and off. I don't gig with it so it never moves, and therefore the cable is never removed, except when I was checking it. I'll have to go back and redo all the sensitivity and lip stuff though, but the sounds are still there.

·
7,638 Posts
The only adjustment I occasionally have to make on my WX5s (I have 3) is lip zero. Thankfully you don't need to pop the cover and tweak a tiny screw on that one, like you needed to do on the WX7. It seems extreme temperature variations can affect it (just a guess, not a hypothesis formulated by careful observation and record keeping).

I bring two WX5s to the gig because they can cover the parts if my sax flute or guitar breaks. I also bring two VL modules.

I maintain my instruments well (they are my livelihood) but in the extremely unlikely event that the sax, flute, guitar, or WX becomes unplayable, I have a spare WX and the show goes on, a little compromised, but it goes on.

But like you, I never turn the switch on the WX off. I plug it into the WX cable before powering up, and don't remove it until everything is powered down.

Insights and incites by Notes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts