Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to be a loyal customer, but I recently had a terrible experience with WWBW.

I have been ordering from WWBW for 20 years and I have purchased tons of stuff, both for myself and for school music programs. I recently ordered about $300 dollars worth of reeds. A package arrived and there only 4 boxes of tenor sax reeds in the box. The rest of the reeds that I ordered were on the invoice, but were not in the box. I paid for them and did not receive them!

Obviously I called WWBW and tried to sort this out, but they told me I they would investigate for some time, and I should just keep calling them to see how the investigation was going. Finally after about 2 weeks and more than an hour on the phone I was able to get my money back, but I really had to argue and negotiate even though their tracking numbers and invoices were completely mixed up.

I order a lot of things online, and this has never happened to me before. From here on out I will take my business elsewhere. It is just too risky ordering from WWBW.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I agree with that.
I think it's perfectly fair they took some time to investigate.

If you assume this reflects a change in their fulfillment process, I guess you'd conclude it's risky. If you assume not, I'd say you did pretty well if you only had one problem in twenty years, albeit a doozy.

·
Registered
146 Posts
A few years ago I purchased a few items from WWBW at one time. The one box of reeds in the order was not in the shipment, although it was on the packing list. I called customer service and they apologized and sent me the reeds. This happened at least 5 years ago. I haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I can understand how this would be frustrating. It it'd happened to me, I'd be ticked. But looking at it from the retailer's POV for a second, they would probably say that according to their records, the shipment went out complete, and that they can't just automatically give refunds whenever somebody says they didn't receive something. And they did ultimately give you the refund. So now you can look at this one of two ways: 1) they screwed up, it was hassle, and I'm never shopping there again, or 2) out of 5 years' worth of orders, I've only had one problem, which they resolved, so I'll probably continue to order from them. Totally justified either way, I suppose.

What bothers me about these situations is that you always have to pitch fit these days to get anything done. I spent spent three hours on the phone with my internet service trying to resolve what should have a very straightforward problem, and I couldn't get them to do anything until finally started yelling, insisted on speaking to a manager, threatened to cancel my service etc. Why? This was a very simple technical issue that I calmly and politely explained during the first 5 minutes, but they just kept putting me off and putting me off till I got angry. And it's like that with so many companies now.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with that.
I think it's perfectly fair they took some time to investigate.
My problem is that I had to spend over an hour on the phone during three different phone calls with WWBW reps. They did everything to try to wiggle out of the issue except call me a liar and a thief. Keep in mind I have spend a lot of money with them over the last 20 years, so I want to be treated like a valued customer, not a scammer. My wife had a missing item from Amazon and it was resolved in 5 minutes via online chat.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
About 15 years ago ordered some Bari brand plastic baritone reeds in the medium size. They sent me soft. They told me to keep them and would send me mediums. This happened about 4 times until they finally sent me the mediums. They let me keep all the wrong sized ones at about 10.00 apiece. I ended up with 60.00 worth of soft sized reeds. Recently I have ordered a lot of reeds through Amazon shipped from WWBW with no issues.

·
Registered
776 Posts
My problem is that I had to spend over an hour on the phone during three different phone calls with WWBW reps. They did everything to try to wiggle out of the issue except call me a liar and a thief. Keep in mind I have spend a lot of money with them over the last 20 years, so I want to be treated like a valued customer, not a scammer. My wife had a missing item from Amazon and it was resolved in 5 minutes via online chat.
I can understand your frustration, and you've spent a lot of money with them. But they did get the issue resolved. That being said, I don't think WWBW is having serious issues. It seems that they are just trying to run a business.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,781 Posts
It's not hard to figure out. Cycle count the product (does the system count reflect the count of reeds in stock?). Put together a box with an identical order. Weigh it. Compare that weight with the shipping weight of the original shipment (its a part of the tracking screen on shipping website too). Why this would take weeks, I don't know.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I try to avoid buying anything from WWBW now. About two years ago I ordered a Lava cable to connect an amp head with a speaker cabinet. When the cardboard envelope arrived there was nothing inside of it. I spent quite a bit of time on the phone until they eventually sent me one. I recently ordered a Hiscox Artist tenor saxophone case from them. It was backordered but I was in no hurry to get it. After several weeks I got a call from a sales rep at WWBW asking if I was still interested in the case as it was still backordered. I said yes and that I didn't have a problem with waiting until they were in stock. Amazingly, that afternoon I got an email saying that the case had been shipped to me, including a tracking number. I checked their website and the case was still being shown as out of stock/backordered. When the case arrived it was clearly a return item. The case was in a thin cardboard box with no wrapping or cushioning whatsoever. The box has been punctured in transit. The box had several labels indicating that it had passed through several dealers; Musician's Friend for one, and it had been to Canada at one point. When I removed the case I could immediately see scuffs and scratches on it and two of the hinges were faulty in that sharp protrusions were present where they seemed to have been incorrectly installed. There was rubbing compound residue along the aluminum strip that seals the two halves of the case when closed. It appeared that some attempt had been made to clean it up. I won't begin to explain the inconvenience of the several phone calls that needed to be made and the expense of driving it back to the UPS depot in order to return it. I did eventually get a "factory fresh" case once they were in stock.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I owned a music store many years ago. I had a serious problem with a supplier and took my father's (a professor of management) advice. Always go to the top. Write down your experience up with dates, etc. Send your letter to the CEO, the vice presidents, the sales manager, etc. all the way down to the guy whom you talked to on the phone. You WILL see something happen. They might even supply you with five years worth of reeds. The people at the top don't like to see this kind of s*** happen. In my case I got everything I wanted, and it happened almost immediately.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
For the disempowered folks at the bottom of a hierarchy, it is always safer to say No than Yes. If you're a customer with a problem, you need to speak with somebody high enough on the food chain to say Yes.

When I'm not getting satisfaction, I don't argue; I simply ask to speak to a manager or supervisor. Sometimes that request alone achieves the desired result.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts