Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a used WWBW bari. Anyone know where these horns came from and are they any good? I'm a tenor player looking to double a bit on Bari - nothing fancy - we're talking the occasional song at a bar gig, church or home recording project.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,412 Posts
Taiwan, at least a few years ago. 'Woodwind' is the house brand. Earlier they were actually re-branded 'LA Sax' horns. I've had good luck with them, having furnished several tenors to students. My requirement for such a procurement is that the horn be good enough for me to play in public. The Woodwinds met that, and in fact I thought they reminded me of the sound of a Super 20 but with Selmer keys. I have been playing a Woodwind 'saxello' soprano for over ten years, and it has survived many attempts to replace it with 'better' horns - just has a 'funkiness' to it. I wouldn't hesitate to get a Woodwind bari but look it over good and play it. Do you already have a bari sax mouthpiece? If not, it may be hard to tell much about the horn. It'll force you to play the owner's mouthpiece. At least pick up a selection of reeds to try with it, mostly in the 2 1/2 area.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I had a student a while ago get a curved soprano woodwind branded sax. It wasn't half bad. For like $800 it sounded pretty darn good.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
My "beater" soprano is a Woodwind straight horn that I bought used earlier this year for $300. My SIII is my preference, by a long shot, BUT the WW really plays just fine, and better than many more expensive horns that I've played.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for the info. I've heard good things about LA Sax (for the money) Very helpful. I don't play bari at all. This one came to my attention from someone in the local area who's dad bought it 5 years ago and passed away shortly after. A local repairman of good reputation checked it out. They're asking $2K for it. It would be great to have a bari ready when the opportunity to play it arises - I mostly play tenor (series II Superaction 80 and a Custom Z) and have an alto and a soprano that I double on. $2K for a serviceable bari seems pretty good, no?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
In an old WWBW catalog, Peter Ponzol said of the WWBW brand "I think you will agree with me when I say that these are among the best horns coming out of the East, and maybe even better than some very well known model s when it comes to sound." Is the same manufacturer still making this brand for WWBW after 10 years? Has the manufacturer changed?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts