Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts
Sweetwater is okay for PA stuff. I've bought mics, cables, stands, and a few other things from them but they seem to focus on the fair pricing good service model over just going for the lowest prices possible.

I still have an old WW&BW paper catalog from around 2000 at the bottom of a shelf in my studio. Every so often it bubbles up when I'm looking for something else and I flip through it just for nostalgia. I realize it's only been a marketing front for years, or at least more of a marketing front than it actually always was. I stopped at the original store (before the one with the pond and instrument statue) back in '97 when driving cross country. I was expecting to see something like what you see in the pictures and videos of SaxUK but even then it was a lot like a Guitar Center with most of the retail floor space dedicated to rock band stuff - guitars, drums, keys, and PA equipment. Based upon the pictures I saw I think the location with the pond and statue was more like what I was expecting but it didn't last long. I went there once but because I had unknowingly crossed the time line I was there over an hour before they were going to open and I didn't feel like waiting. It looked like a very nice building but I don't think they could generate enough foot-traffic with just wind players to justify the place.

What's sad if the WW&BW name goes away is it's an indication that wind players no longer make up a large enough demographic or represent enough economic value to be marketed to separately even if it is just a facade.

Sweetwater Sound has been around for many years with guitars, amps, PA systems, stage equipment, lighting, mics, cables and many other items. Good company to deal with for those items. Their prices are often below other companies.
If you call, they always give you discounts too....and candy in the box when they ship!

If WWBW goes under, there will be an opening for a woodwind/brass Internet store. I hope someone will pick it up.
In case folks aren't aware of these folks, they're great. I've been using them in place of WWBW for many years. My old clarinet prof at North Texas, the wonderful Jim Gillespie, hipped me to them. Good prices and fast shipping.

My rep at Sweetwater, (for keyboards and PA's) told me that it may or may not be true that Sweetwater is getting into the Woodwind business. But you did not hear it from him/her..... Whether they do or not I have NEVER had a problem dealing with Wiener music for my reeds and accessories ... I have been dealing with them since about 1985and still do ...

I have found many good deals from Cascio Interstate Music in New Berlin WI since I lived there 2004-2007. Now I see they too are under reorganization: http://3aqkz4lvqur27ewat2bbqoku-wpe...ressRelease_CascioAnnouncement_2020_FINAL.pdf
I didn't know that - thanks for sharing. My parents bought my 1st sax from Mr Cascio in 1967 when it was still a small, local music store. I still liked to browse their sax selection when in town. We'll have to see what the change brings.

In case folks aren't aware of these folks, they're great. I've been using them in place of WWBW for many years. My old clarinet prof at North Texas, the wonderful Jim Gillespie, hipped me to them. Good prices and fast shipping.

I've also found Weiner music has good prices and is easy to work with.

Yes, Sweetwater is very large, and very good to deal with.
Not just good prices, either. They know their stuff, and are ready to help.
For PA equipment, mics, etc I go to Full Compass, literally just down the road. Great selection and prices, super convenient (except closed on weekends), and they give back to the community.

Judging from the news reports, Guitar Center's bankruptcy appears to be a semi-"prepackaged" Chapter 11 filing. This means that the debtor negotiates a deal with the major creditors in advance, so everyone understands who is entitled to what, how much the payment schedules will be extended, etc. With no need to fight over everything in court, the proceedings can be much smoother and quicker. (Also, for those not familiar with the term, Chapter 11 means a reorganization rather than a liquidation, which would be Chaper 7.)

Interestingly, a major competitor of Guitar Center's is said to be Sweetwater, a music company I'd never even heard of before, probably because it doesn't sell any band or orchestral instruments or supplies.
I would guess Sam Ash as being the next closest competitor. Sweetwater is not a brick and mortar store. Guitar Center also owns Music and Arts retail stores that's why they don't sell band instruments at Guitar Center.
what's interesting is Fender announced not too long ago record guitar sales during Covid.

here's a recent article from my news feed

+1

This has been my primary go-to for several years now. Woodsy's music in Akron is also very good and carries certain products (like saxophone mouthpieces from boutique makers) that Weinermusic doesn't.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
I would guess Sam Ash as being the next closest competitor. Sweetwater is not a brick and mortar store. Guitar Center also owns Music and Arts retail stores that's why they don't sell band instruments at Guitar Center.
what's interesting is Fender announced not too long ago record guitar sales during Covid...........
(edited for length)
Hey, PigSquealer, Sweetwater has a location just outside of Ft.Wayne, Indiana, about a 90 minute drive from me. You can make purchases there. I think they also ship from that location, as it is a fairly large building.

WWBW has sent out an email informing their customers that their parent company, Guitar Center, Inc., is doing some financial things and WWBW will be filing for Chapter 11. This apparently is a financial issue, and WWBW is saying they will continue to be open and do business. I have done business with that entity from the early days of the Woodwind when Dennis Bamber ran the shop himself. It saddens me to see this, but in the US, business happens like this when entities are bought and sold.
It will be interesting to see what discounts WWBW gives after the first of the year. Last January they gave a blanket 18% off ANY saxophone purchase. They may do more of the same this January. Bernie Sanders spoke of reigning in the Wall Street banks. He said they were "too big to fail." The same thing is true for Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, Music 123, and WWBW. They are by far the largest music selling organization in the world. This restructuring may produce some casualties, perhaps one of their companies will fold. Unfortunately the end isn't in sight. Musicians aren't working, so they aren't buying new equipment. It will probably be a full year before all the restaurants and clubs again have live music. These are difficult times both for the retailers and players. Hell, not even high school and college marching bands are practicing. This forum is a great way for us to share the joys and pain of it all.
Stay resonant!
JR

Hey, PigSquealer, Sweetwater has a location just outside of Ft.Wayne, Indiana, about a 90 minute drive from me. You can make purchases there. I think they also ship from that location, as it is a fairly large building.
Most interesting I never knew that. I think it was Sweetwater I tried to buy a 10 piece case set for my daughters drum kit. They had just been bought with or merged with another company.
I was never billed it nor received the delivery. Bought goods somewhere else got tired of asking.
It will be interesting to see what discounts WWBW gives after the first of the year. Last January they gave a blanket 18% off ANY saxophone purchase. They may do more of the same this January. Bernie Sanders spoke of reigning in the Wall Street banks. He said they were "too big to fail." The same thing is true for Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, Music 123, and WWBW. They are by far the largest music selling organization in the world. This restructuring may produce some casualties, perhaps one of their companies will fold. Unfortunately the end isn't in sight. Musicians aren't working, so they aren't buying new equipment. It will probably be a full year before all the restaurants and clubs again have live music. These are difficult times both for the retailers and players. Hell, not even high school and college marching bands are practicing. This forum is a great way for us to share the joys and pain of it all.
Stay resonant!
JR
I am already receiving daily emails from WWBW for 50% off. Interesting about 123 music. Completely forgot about them being owned by the same company. A lot of companies going to get hurt by this deal. GC already re-organized in 2007. High school band what's that:(.
Three of my daughters friends were at college on music scholarships. Not only are they not playing. They are home taking classes online via zoom. So when will music scholarships return?

I live near South Bend, Indiana, which was a main location for the original business. One could go there and play any variety of instruments, including drums and various percussion. They even had strings and harps! That was the days of pure musical enjoyment. The empty warehouse showroom still stands with its large sax and trumpet statue in the middle of a dry pond, casting a shadow of remembrance on what no longer is.
Oh wow, when was it closed? Did they change into an online only store? I didn't even know that.

The first pro instrument I bought myself (without my teacher) was at the NYC branch of WW&BW. One of the nicest music stores I've been to. Reminded me of the "classic" instrument stores I remembered from Paris. It had no "chain" atmosphere and whoever was working there was knowledgeable (I'm guessing some music students). That was in the late 90s if I remember.

I bought my two main instruments at the Indiana store, probably early 2000s (I made the drive from the East coast because the NYC branch closed by then). First thing I remember when getting to the street was... what a weird place for a big music store... but I guess in the USA you are used to everything being big (here, all the major music stores in main crowded areas in the city). When entering, it had the complete opposite atmosphere to the NYC store. It was like a music shopping mall. Huge, organized like a big department store. No woodwinds in sight, and then in the showroom there was a Patricola rosewood clarinet of all things... probably not in much worse condition than the one I later asked to try (since I'm there... why not). Asked where to go for woodwinds and went to the back, with very helpful but not very knowledgeable staff. I went there especially because they had the most instruments I could try, and I sat there pretty much all day, almost until closing. Bought them and still play them.

I'll definitely never forget... the corn fields in Ohio :)

//Sweetwater is not a brick and mortar store.//

Looks pretty real to me. Pre-Covid they had regular large expos there. Sound demos, guitar zoos, etc.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Oh wow, when was it closed? Did they change into an online only store? I didn't even know that.

The first pro instrument I bought myself (without my teacher) was at the NYC branch of WW&BW. One of the nicest music stores I've been to. Reminded me of the "classic" instrument stores I remembered from Paris. It had no "chain" atmosphere and whoever was working there was knowledgeable (I'm guessing some music students). That was in the late 90s if I remember.

I bought my two main instruments at the Indiana store, probably early 2000s (I made the drive from the East coast because the NYC branch closed by then). First thing I remember when getting to the street was... what a weird place for a big music store... but I guess in the USA you are used to everything being big (here, all the major music stores in main crowded areas in the city). When entering, it had the complete opposite atmosphere to the NYC store. It was like a music shopping mall. Huge, organized like a big department store. No woodwinds in sight, and then in the showroom there was a Patricola rosewood clarinet of all things... probably not in much worse condition than the one I later asked to try (since I'm there... why not). Asked where to go for woodwinds and went to the back, with very helpful but not very knowledgeable staff. I went there especially because they had the most instruments I could try, and I sat there pretty much all day, almost until closing. Bought them and still play them.

I'll definitely never forget... the corn fields in Ohio :)
A friend of mine worked there for many years. When Dennis Bamber sold is when he says everything changed. I think it was 2006, after some other financial ordeals not directly associated with customers. I know the business suffered a loss of spirit.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.