Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Hmmn. I don't see any linkage to the second bell keywork. Wonder if it was just some custom thing more for the visual novelty. Maybe for some kind of circus act?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,887 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hmmn. I don't see any linkage to the second bell keywork. Wonder if it was just some custom thing more for the visual novelty. Maybe for some kind of circus act?
I'd guess that as well, I wonder if that 2nd bell is closed off at the attachment point so that only the original sax plays. Otherwise it creates an alternate air exit that presumably would significantly alter the effect of the bell keys on the first bell. But then they wouldn't need that single arm that presumably holds the pad on the 2nd bell closed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
Re: Fake ore Custom-Made

Fake in as much as this never came out from the Conn or King factory but if it not a heavily Photoshopped set of pictures ( hard to believe that one would spend the time) this was made by someone who put lots of time into making a pointless chimera.

Aside from adding helluvalot of weight to a Conn with an extra King bell, I don’t know what the point of this hybridization (Perhaps adding a low A? A bit radical for that!)

This a lot of work without a rational purpose. A wast of time.

A chimera (see picture)

1st of April is a very long way but it would make a great gift for a fool.

·
38,811 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,126 Posts

·
38,811 Posts
why do it the simple way if you can do it the difficult way

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I saw an avantgard trumpet player playing on an double bell instrument, mainly for quick changes between muted/unmuted sounds. But for a sax, it's complete nonsense.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,126 Posts
Is it an optical illusion, or does John Cook's double-bell sax have some sort of internal tone-hole closure?

I still wonder what his intent was. Possibly a way to play two notes at once? but that would require more holes on the second bell.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The internal "sleeve??" with the crescent cutouts maybe to shift the tuning which must have been affected by the additional bell - the keys are missing from the upper stack so is it a work in progress or meant to be played that way?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts