• No

Votes: 10 41.7%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1926 Buescher TT Alto, 1936 Holton Revelation Tenor, 1954 Holton 271 Bari
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever used/ currently use a tenor mpc on alto, tenor on cmel, cmel on alto, or any kind of mouthpiece that wasn't made to go on your type of horn?

I use my old Buescher Cmel's mpc on my Buescher TT since i hate the S-80 C* on it. at least the brands match!

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Hard to find a good C-Mel piece, so .... yes.

·
Registered
630 Posts
And brass instruments, too.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Always use a tenor piece on C tenor....with baritone reeds.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,688 Posts
I use my old Buescher Cmel's mpc on my Buescher TT since i hate the S-80 C* on it. at least the brands match!
You don't need the brand of mpc to match the horn. There are many dozens of modern mpcs that will work fine on that Buescher, far better than an old Cmel mpc or an S-80 C*.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
You don't need the brand of mpc to match the horn. There are many dozens of modern mpcs that will work fine on that Buescher, far better than an old Cmel mpc or an S-80 C*.
I would go as far as to say that any substitution from the original would be a vast improvement.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,688 Posts
I would go as far as to say that any substitution from the original would be a vast improvement.
So would I.

Bradwit, have you tried any other mpcs on your Buescher? I wouldn't even consider using either of the ones you listed on my Aristocrat, or my VI, or any other horn. Slap a better mpc on the Buescher and I think you'd be in for a big surprise.

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
Sometimes on a trumpet!
Yes I was intriqued to find this out recently. Seems like the only two players I know of who used the reed trumpet are Rahsaan and Eddie Harris. At the start of 'Bye Bye Blackbird' you can hear Rahsaan sounding a bit like Miles on his muted reed trumpet before he rips it up on his tenor sax. Apparently, they take a sax mouthpiece and meld it to the back bore of a trumpet mouthpiece..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.