Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These were just posted on Facebook and are gathering quite a lot of attention, so I thought I’d copy them to here so all my fellow Brecker-heads can geek out as am I right now. I’ve personally never seen pictures of his horn as up close as these are, and I never realized he had so many aftermarket modifications to his horn - Ishimori, Oleg, and more! And a 92xxx neck! Wow, just wow!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,535 Posts
Without a doubt, the single hardest played, most "broken-in" saxophone in the history of the world.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Think about how much of a discount this horn would command with all of the modifications and worn lacquer...if it wasn’t his horn.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Think about how much of a discount this horn would command with all of the modifications and worn lacquer...if it wasn’t his horn.
Still an 86xxx original MK VI. It'd sell for $10k at least.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
The SOTW snobs wouldn't touch that thing!

Did they say how they got those? Rumor is that a Randy Breckers wife is a tenor player and might have that horn.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
God knows how many times Brecker brought this horn to Perry Ritter’s shop. It’s like the saxophone version of Willie Nelson’s guitar, Trigger.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I want to inquire about the color. It is orangish. Is that the brass color or some sort of oxidation? It is not quite that dark honey gold I would expect. Any repair techs or collectors care to comment?
This is quite the relic and amazing to see!

·
3,535 Posts
I have actually played this horn, in Michael's basement, and I can confirm that it is indeed... a tenor saxophone.

·
3,535 Posts
Michael told me brought his tenor in for a disassembly, maintenance/adjustment and complete deep cleaning inside and out 2-3 times per year, after it began to smell and turn very green. In some random vids, you can see his horn looks very clean.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see it has the S/No 86351 .

I bought the Mk VI tenor S/No 86352 on 23/2/89 in the U.K. for £1000 .
The guy I bought it off included what he called a special Otto Link .....I didn't know then , but it was a WT Otto Link .
Unfortunately I sold the tenor , as I preferred my 75*** tenor at the time .(which I still have . )
Oh Well ...
Wow! That’s really cool, I wonder where yours is now knowing it’s the one right next to Brecker’s...

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
I want to inquire about the color. It is orangish. Is that the brass color or some sort of oxidation? It is not quite that dark honey gold I would expect. Any repair techs or collectors care to comment?
This is quite the relic and amazing to see!
It's about 95+% bare brass. That's what you're seeing. The honey gold thing is purely the tint the lacquer gave it. You can see little spots of remaining lacquer, especially the close(r) up shot of the bell. Near the top (lip) is where some lacquer remains and that's what you're used to seeing on horns that age that have most of their lacquer remaining and haven't been played for thousands upon thousands of hours over the years.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts