Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to post that this mouthpiece has made be so unbelievably happy.
Soprano rookie here, just for fun, jam with friends here and there.
I got a cheap Allora soprano from WWBW, bought a metalite M7, Rico H Lig, Legere 2.25
Tuning was all over the map, could not play with others. So I went smaller
with a Otto Link Tone Master 5* same ligature and reed. I got the Same results can't play with others. Got some softer reeds to see if that was an issue. By now I am a month into soprano play and am freaking out. Did I buy a bad horn? Perhaps the original mouthpiece needs to be used.(tried it, same results).

Seeing the threads about Runyons being a good value for money, I decided I couldn't get any worse. I went with the 8 as it was a little more open than my
M7 also it seemed closer in size to my Alto Meyer 5M. Got it in the mail, placed my legere 2.25 on it and was amazed at my intonation up and down the horn. I could even get the high E,F, and F# that I could not sound before. I have not even tried it without the spoiler yet. I can't believe how giddy I am over this tuning and mouthpiece issue.

·
Registered
9,020 Posts
The Runyon 8 (.067") actually has a similar tip opening than your Metalite M7 (.065"). Due to manufacturing variation, both could be the same or the Runyon even somewhat smaller. Runyons do have a small chamber volume whaich can help a lot of players who have sharp high notes with other mouthpieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,274 Posts
Seeing the threads about Runyons being a good value for money, I decided I couldn't get any worse.
Can't argue with that. Just be sure to record yourself to see if it's the sound you're after.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think my happiness has to do with the chamber, both the ottolink and metallite gave me this weird resistance on the octave d,e,f area of the horn aside from the tuning issue.
The resistance is gone with the Runyon in the same area of the horn.

The sound is something I am getting used too, It is very loud and clear. I am just so happy I can jam with play alongs and friends.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts