Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well today was a magical day regarding blowing a very excellent sax that i have never had the chance of paying before. Yup you guessed it, it was the infamous Borgani "Joe Lovano" model. Wow! Just a super horn in so many ways. I have read and heard quite a few things about these horns, and now I totally get. Such a pleasurable blow, i just didn't want to put it down. The owner literally said to me, "you can take it out of your mouth now." I just didn't want to stop playing it. If I didn't have the huge tax debt that is so financially weighing me down I would jump on this horn in a flash. Thanks for letting me have a test run Tom, some lucky player will certainly be a happy camper when this one is purchased/sold.

Who else here is a lucky owner of one of these?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,803 Posts
Re: Wow! Just played a Borgani "Joe LOvano" Wow!

Joe LOvano, you can edit the title of the thread, since this is the name of the artist.

It’s not difficult and can only be done by OP just click edit and change the title

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Re: Wow! Just played a Borgani "Joe Lavano" Wow!

didn't we just have a long thread on the same topic? where did that thread go?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,803 Posts
Re: Wow! Just played a Borgani "Joe Lavano" Wow!

if we did this should be merged

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
Welcome to the Borgani experience, Parker. There are a number of Borgani enthusiasts here, mostly playing “Jubilee” models, but a few with “Lovano” tenors.

Yeah, they are different from most tenors on the market - especially those that have descended from the Selmer style.

I’ve been playing Borgani tenors for about 15 years. I started with a silver pearl Jubilee, s/n 0409J, that I found at SotW with member “Leon”, and have been hooked ever since. I have more recently built horns now, with some refinements to the mechanism over the years, but they all share a distinctive core sound.

Well today was a magical day regarding blowing a very excellent sax that i have never had the chance of paying before. Yup you guessed it, it was the infamous Borgani "Joe Lovano" model. Wow! Just a super horn in so many ways. I have read and heard quite a few things about these horns, and now I totally get. Such a pleasurable blow, i just didn't want to put it down. The owner literally said to me, "you can take it out of your mouth now." I just didn't want to stop playing it. If I didn't have the huge tax debt that is so financially weighing me down I would jump on this horn in a flash. Thanks for letting me have a test run Tom, some lucky player will certainly be a happy camper when this one is purchased/sold.

Who else here is a lucky owner of one of these?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the Borgani experience, Parker. There are a number of Borgani enthusiasts here, mostly playing “Jubilee” models, but a few with “Lovano” tenors.

Yeah, they are different from most tenors on the market - especially those that have descended from the Selmer style.

I’ve been playing Borgani tenors for about 15 years. I started with a silver pearl Jubilee, s/n 0409J, that I found at SotW with member “Leon”, and have been hooked ever since. I have more recently built horns now, with some refinements to the mechanism over the years, but they all share a distinctive core sound.
It's the sound, the distinctive sound, who is not looking for that bottom end and fatness?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi Parker,

I am an enthusiastic new owner of a Lovano... my original posting can be found about midway thru this thread:
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?345736-First-foray-into-borg-ownership

So I've had it now for about 2 months and I can say that it only gets better the more we get to know each other. I also find myself playing and practicing much more than I had been simply because playing it is just so much fun. The horn just begs to be played and indeed, resistance is futile. I even have a note from the esteemed Dr G excusing me from work (!).

Borganis get a different sound and if they are in your wheelhouse, you can find your bit of saxophone heaven. I was lucky enough to be around when Dowshu received his Pearl Silver Jubilee recently and we had great fun playing both. His sounds great and he found that it took some "dialing in" to get the sound he wanted. Don't really know the history of his horn but it may take some "playing condition" tweaks to get it into its best shape. Mine came with an impressive pedigree including the famous Matt Stohrer video of him working on the horn I purchased and it sounded great for me right out of the box. However, even then it needed some tweaking with the lower stack spring tensions (big shout out to Jack at Boston Sax Shop). Very helpful and necessary to have a tech who knows Borgs and how to work on them. Now plays like a dream. When we played the Jubilee and Lovano back to back, we agreed they both have that Borgani core sound but that my Lovano was a bit darker than his Pearl Silver. Since each horn is hand made, the truism that "your mileage may vary" probably applies. The evenness of tone throughout the octave registers on both horns is remarkable.

My bandmates who have known me for a long time commented immediately on the horn saying it is the best I ever sounded. I can only agree with them. I have owned a bunch of horns over the years and like many on the forum the honeymoon eventually faded. This has not been true with this horn or with the SML Gold Medal 1 I have owned for past 22 years (interestingly enough, both the SML and Borgs are based on old Conn designs - seems that is my wheelhouse).

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Lovano or a Jubilee to anyone who likes their rich sound... Good luck on the hunt. Last I looked, Brian at Getasax had one for sale that looked like it was in good shape...

Chubarry

P.S. Guto owned my horn at one point and I totally agree that "ascended" is a much more apt description

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I was wondering where that Borg had ended up! That horn is absolutely awesome! With no exaggeration, one of the best tenors I've seen in my 25 years of playing and having owned 20+ horns myself over the years. Glad you are enjoying it!

P.S. Guto owned my horn at one point and I totally agree that "ascended" is a much more apt description

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Hi Parker,

I am an enthusiastic new owner of a Lovano... my original posting can be found about midway thru this thread:
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?345736-First-foray-into-borg-ownership

So I've had it now for about 2 months and I can say that it only gets better the more we get to know each other. I also find myself playing and practicing much more than I had been simply because playing it is just so much fun. The horn just begs to be played and indeed, resistance is futile. I even have a note from the esteemed Dr G excusing me from work (!).

Borganis get a different sound and if they are in your wheelhouse, you can find your bit of saxophone heaven. I was lucky enough to be around when Dowshu received his Pearl Silver Jubilee recently and we had great fun playing both. His sounds great and he found that it took some "dialing in" to get the sound he wanted. Don't really know the history of his horn but it may take some "playing condition" tweaks to get it into its best shape. Mine came with an impressive pedigree including the famous Matt Stohrer video of him working on the horn I purchased and it sounded great for me right out of the box. However, even then it needed some tweaking with the lower stack spring tensions (big shout out to Jack at Boston Sax Shop). Very helpful and necessary to have a tech who knows Borgs and how to work on them. Now plays like a dream. When we played the Jubilee and Lovano back to back, we agreed they both have that Borgani core sound but that my Lovano was a bit darker than his Pearl Silver. Since each horn is hand made, the truism that "your mileage may vary" probably applies. The evenness of tone throughout the octave registers on both horns is remarkable.

My bandmates who have known me for a long time commented immediately on the horn saying it is the best I ever sounded. I can only agree with them. I have owned a bunch of horns over the years and like many on the forum the honeymoon eventually faded. This has not been true with this horn or with the SML Gold Medal 1 I have owned for past 22 years (interestingly enough, both the SML and Borgs are based on old Conn designs - seems that is my wheelhouse).

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Lovano or a Jubilee to anyone who likes their rich sound... Good luck on the hunt. Last I looked, Brian at Getasax had one for sale that looked like it was in good shape...

Chubarry

Does it still have 2 necks? Gold and original?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
I'd like to try a more recently made Borgani. I remember I got to try a ton of them at Roberto's in NYC about 15 years ago. I thought they all sucked. The best of the bunch was a pearl silver alto...but man I couldn't believe how expensive they were and how poorly they played. Very uneven tone across the range, keywork was clunky and bulky, tone was not impressive at all. Had two friends with me who tried them as well and none of us thought they were any good. The Conn 6M and Reference 54 alto I had with me smoked all their altos, and my buddy's Mark VI tenor crushed every single one of the Borg tenors. It wasn't even a question of tone "taste"...the Borgs were just bad. All the other horns on the wall played better.

I'll be up in NYC around Christmas this year so maybe I'll stop by a few places and see if I can try a more recent one. Be curious to see the changes they've made.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
197 Posts
I was wondering where that Borg had ended up! That horn is absolutely awesome! With no exaggeration, one of the best tenors I've seen in my 25 years of playing and having owned 20+ horns myself over the years. Glad you are enjoying it!
Thanks Guto! The keys and rods still look brand new from the Borgani factory uberhaul you did... fantastic. And it is still an amazing player....

·
Registered
197 Posts
Does it still have 2 necks? Gold and original?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Absolutely yes! Both necks are still with the horn. Were you the one who added the Power neck? When I play it on the Lovano, makes a huge difference. Significantly less resistance and the low notes just come out effortlessly. And I can see why they call it a Power neck - adds real UMPH to the sound. Interestingly enough the difference on the Pearl Silver Jubilee (also a 19xxx series) was much more subtle and less noticeable.

Overall I'm learning these horns are very responsive to some of the relatively smaller things like key hight, spring tension, air flow, mpc-reed-lig set up etc. Tried it first on my favorite set up and it sounded OK but disappointing given its reputation. Changed only the lig (to a cheap Bonade) and it sounded terrific to me and the folks listening. May be a reason some folks just don't like it after trying one for a relatively short period of time - under some conditions it needs to get dialed over a longer period of time . Also took me some time to learn to dance with its quirkiness. What fun! Just keeps sounding better and better as we get to know each other....

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'd like to try a more recently made Borgani. I remember I got to try a ton of them at Roberto's in NYC about 15 years ago. I thought they all sucked. The best of the bunch was a pearl silver alto...but man I couldn't believe how expensive they were and how poorly they played. Very uneven tone across the range, keywork was clunky and bulky, tone was not impressive at all. Had two friends with me who tried them as well and none of us thought they were any good. The Conn 6M and Reference 54 alto I had with me smoked all their altos, and my buddy's Mark VI tenor crushed every single one of the Borg tenors. It wasn't even a question of tone "taste"...the Borgs were just bad. All the other horns on the wall played better.

I'll be up in NYC around Christmas this year so maybe I'll stop by a few places and see if I can try a more recent one. Be curious to see the changes they've made.

- Saxaholic
Saxaholic - make sure you try one of the Borgani Jubilee series. They are apparently different animals than their previous models....

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

- Saxaholic
So I'm guessing you didn't purchase one? lol

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
Absolutely yes! Both necks are still with the horn. Were you the one who added the Power neck? When I play it on the Lovano, makes a huge difference. Significantly less resistance and the low notes just come out effortlessly. And I can see why they call it a Power neck - adds real UMPH to the sound. Interestingly enough the difference on the Pearl Silver Jubilee (also a 19xxx series) was much more subtle and less noticeable.
Thanks for that data point. I have played several necks on my Jubilee alto, and didn’t find the power neck to have a substantial difference. I have heard from others that the Lovano neck is different from the regular Jubilee necks, so I suspect you are experiencing that the Lovano neck is the one with the less power.

Did you also try the silver pearl neck on your Lovano tenor body? I wager that the regular silver pearl neck (19xxxJ) has more power than the Lovano neck, too.

BTW, for those looking for that big fluffy Joe Lovano sound, the Francois Louis Spectruoso delivers. I had one of the same tip opening that Lovano plays (T350 with SP chamber), and I couldn’t get anything but his tone. Sold it.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
So I'm guessing you didn't purchase one? lol
Haha no. They were pretty but they were awful.

Saxaholic - make sure you try one of the Borgani Jubilee series. They are apparently different animals than their previous models....
Yes, I'm interested in those...I'm assuming the ones I tried weren't Jubilees?? I see a bunch of praise for the Jubilee and Lovano models, so I'm hoping I get a chance to try those.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks for that data point. I have played several necks on my Jubilee alto, and didn’t find the power neck to have a substantial difference. I have heard from others that the Lovano neck is different from the regular Jubilee necks, so I suspect you are experiencing that the Lovano neck is the one with the less power.

Did you also try the silver pearl neck on your Lovano tenor body? I wager that the regular silver pearl neck (19xxxJ) has more power than the Lovano neck, too.
Yup, did the Lovano neck on the Jubilee and the Silver Pearl neck on the Lovano. Little to no difference in listening to it - in playing it, the Silver Pearl neck on the Lovano seemed slightly less resistant than the original. Difference was so negligible we compared necks side by side. Indeed the Lovano neck is a bit more angled but that seemed to be the primary distinction. Hope that's helpful.

Chubarry

1 - 20 of 23 Posts