and it looks like the norton springs as well. The lacquer is worn in all
of the usual suspect spots, around the engraving, the rest looks ok
has the usual lacquer rash they get over time. All opinions welcomed, thanks
Jay.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
For a Big B I wouldn't do it.

If it was something like a Conn 6M, Selmer, etc. then I would say yes. Even if you're thinking profit margin, I don't think enough is there (especially considering it probably needs pads).

Good luck in whatever you decide.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
No question, Jay. I live in Virginia and regularly check N.C. Md. and Penn. Craigslist. I'd make a 300 mile drive without a second thought. Of course, I also drive the same distance to pick my daughter up at school, too!

Regards,
-g

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,571 Posts
Fire up the woodgrained wagon although it could be a gamble. I am a sucker for that sort of stuff and my VW TDI gets 42 miles to the gallon on the highway. :mrgreen:

HUTMO

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
Roadtrip!!!!!!!!!! :headbang:

Are we talking about 5 hours total, or just one way? Total: absolutely...one way: meh.

But I've spent many a day driving for instruments, and I usually like cruising on the highway with my German luxo-barge...so long distance driving isn't such a big deal to me (though gas prices aren't making me happy lately).

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah round trip, and a couple bucks in tolls, my Accord gets 34 mpg or so, basically
it is a Philly to DC and back, get to see the Washington Monument :).

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,796 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did an 8 1/2 hour drive one way last July. No regrets. Not only did I get a great sax, we turned it into a weekend getaway. Go for it.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Yeah,I'd do it if I could keep it casual, fun and in the roadtrip spirit.
If time and gas is worry then maybe forget then cos it might just add stress where none was needed.

I love a mission! :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
Yeah,I'd do it if I could keep it casual, fun and in the roadtrip spirit.
Mix in a few beers to keep it interesting!:mrgreen:

(Seriously, I would do it, assuming it doesn't do damage to you employment or marital situation, etc.)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's an alto, it wouldn't be stressful because I would leave and be home between rush hours,
employment and wife are not a problem, if I do decide not to go I will give the details to anyone
who is interested, GT would be closest.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
I would do it if it is a horn I really want. IF the seller is not to far out of town, you could take the train as it is not as much stress. If you drive and it is on the VA side, I know a great soft Ice Cream shop in Falls Church! You can always scout out some other things to do while you are in DC, maybe dinner with Obama...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
I've driven 'over' 5 hours for sex.. Oops, I just put my glasses on... never mind...

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,983 Posts
So only 2.5 hours each way... absolutely would it if it meant getting what could be THE instrument I want. When I bought my main instruments I flew about 12 hours and then drove about 15 hours... then the same back. No regrets and not really looking for more instruments other than different sizes since then.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
I'm a bari player. 'Nuff said.

·
Forum Contributor 2009 & Mouthpiece Patch Mogul
4,054 Posts
Yeah, done it for my student at the time. He had to return a hired sax which was over 5 hours drive away and didnt want to risk the post. We called in on the way to Baker Street, London where we`d arranged to buy a TJ Signature alto from an Ebay seller. Then at the hire shop we tried out a few saxes, mpcs etc and bought a few goodies. We made a full day of it, shared the driving in a Mercedes 190 and enjoyed lunch in a quaint pub somewhere in the south of England.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
hey,you spend 2.5 hours on sotw and ebay lookin for saxes every day!!!!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I wouldn't do it for a Big B alto. If it needs a repad, it really doesnt leave any meat left on the bone and its not the kind of alto I would want to keep and play myself.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts