Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am researching the market for luxury leather cases.

I have been working in the past with Taiwanese companies and I was always really impressed with the leather GL Cases. But GL has already a distribution chain in the NL and other countries, so I am trying to source a product that, if not similar in loos, at the very least is similar in a manner of concept and target.

It has to be a “ money is no object “ kind of case and it is certainly not for the person who want to bash the case around at gigs where it might get scratched, but my experience is that many would buy a case for an expensive instrument that look at least the part .

I would also source leather cases for violin, viola, flutes, clarinet, trumpets, trombone, guitars , sticks & cymbals, but of course, being a saxophone aficionado, I’d like to start with saxophones.

GL never made a tenor saxophone case because it would be too heavy (maybe they need to use different woods) but I certainly would want to have that.

What do you think? Would you buy a leather case?

·
38,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, but that’s not what I want to sell.

Utilitarian cases are what they are, their market is a jungle with lots of established names, but there are lots of people who don’t want an utilitarian case but an object at least as beautiful as its content.

You buy a violin or a flute costing way more than a saxophone and you want it to travel in style, and, let’s face it, the majority of players who own expensive instruments have the cash to match. I know the BAM etoile and nice though it is, I don’t like it.

I’d prefer the likes of Marco Magi ( also sold as Borgani, Rampone & Cazzani and Prestini) but I want something different.

Again, the concept that appeals to me is the same one used by GL, which, to me, makes the best looking case on the market, period.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I would consider pulling the trigger, all dependent on price of course. I've always loved the Glenn Cronkhite gig bags - to me, it's the most handsome looking thing on the market. However, I would never trust any horn to a gig bag.

https://glenncronkhite.com/product-category/saxophone-bags/

These are gorgeous, but the lack of protection is a deal breaker.

Would a type of composite shell be cheaper and/or lighter than wood? I've gotten away from steel toe boots in my day job to wearing composite safety toe boots - seems like it could be a good alternative if it was cost effective.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I will have to agree with you. Without a doubt the GL case looks gorgeous. No comparison really to the BAM.
I was just not aware of them.
I would be willing to spend the extra money for the aesthetics of the case but only if the technical performance of the case is as good as the best around.
To me that means strong shell and thermal, shock and vibration isolation.
Add all that to the above looks and is a dream of a case !

·
38,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, GL makes violin cases fit to transport violins costing easily $100,000 to way more. They even integrate (as many violin cases do) an hygrometer, obviously isolation is perfect.

They have a cheaper version with canvas and leather

I am not considering importing an distributing anything else that wouldn’t be a hard shell case.

Plywood can be made to be part of a lightweight composite but I am not going to project a product and have it made , it would cost an arm and a leg and the chances to have this turn onto a success are very limited with little resouces.

Ideally I am looking for a luggage maker company interested in the musical instrument market and there is WAY more than saxophones out there! Think...guitars!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
No, I wouldn't. Most of my horns (saxophones and clarinets) are in cases with which they were sold. In some instances, I have horns in ProTec cases.

Size, fit and accessories-space is what I'm interested in, not total security or expensive appearances. Oh, I admire that LOOK, but not that much to pay for it. DAVE

·
38,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and yet there are lots of people who do.

I have a great leather case for my camera and lenses , it didn’t cost a fortune because I wasn’t going to spend the real big bucks and YET the big bucks leather cases sell very well.

I am talking of a relatively small messenger case selling in excess of $400. ONA is one of the leathers in this type of market.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1141775-REG/ona_ona5_013lbr_brixton_antique_cognac.html

As far as camera accessory go this is hardly top money!

Maybe photographers have just more money, their cameras and accessory often cost more and these days you bought the top camera (and spend several thousands ) and after 3 years you’ll buy a new TOP camera (I didn’t but that’s what a lot of folks do).

You don’t want to know how much this Leica correspondent (pre worn out of course!) costs

this is a Harrods/Globetrotter Fuji set

·
4,579 Posts
Well you asked if people here would be interested, don't be upset when some people say "no I wouldn't be".

I'm one of those.

·
38,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not upset, I am discussing and like in any polite discussion one person puts forward ideas and another says , yes, but...

Of course the majority will not buy it. For those I recommend protec “ the best case" scenario :bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
Cases are already overpriced for what they do, and high end would be a very slim market share given that we're talking about instrumental musicians; an ever dwindling number these days as well. Plus, a fancy one screams "steal me!".

Sure, some hobbyists might grab a few up initially... then come here to brag about them. Then you'd go broke trying to unload them.

·
38,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well the ones that I showed you are not fantasy and they are for sale right now. The violin cases made by GL are sold in all the best shops in the world.

As for going around with luxury goods, you can buy a pair of shoes for few shekels anywhere but you can buy a pair of Gucci ( or any other brand) loafers, theree are shops making hand made shoes where you have to wait a year to get a pair, it must mean that some folks DO like bespoke products.

·
25,969 Posts
The violin cases made by GL are sold in all the best shops in the world.
Violin and saxophone are vastly different market shares. What's the most expensive horn? A $20K mint VI tenor. Now what's the most expensive violin? Probably more violin players in the world as well.

·
38,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
25,969 Posts
Again, Marco Magi, Bam, GL (and others) they all make good and expensive SAXOPHONE leather cases and they sell them so there is a market, maybe not for everyone, but they are out there and they are bought by people.
And you want to compete with them? You're a businessman. And a saxophonist. Think business rather than saxophone. You ain't gonna make any money with this idea.

·
38,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don’t want to compete with all of them, I just want to see if there is a niche in this market. It would have to be small and maybe I won’t do it.:whistle:

as for the rationality of this, read the investopedia article...

ridiculous as it may be, the market of expensive goods is growing way more than the one of sensible and rational cheap stuff

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would be interested if it was rectangular (can hold more stuff than sax shaped cases) and could also fit vintage saxes with left hand bell keys (such as Conn).

·
14,268 Posts
Just for the record, I didn't take milandro's first reply to my post as a negative or a challenge. He asked and I answered - I answered for ME.

I have no problem with expensive stuff - I LIKE expensive stuff. I'm happy for those who like expensive things and wish them well. We all spend our money where we need to, and then where want to. I have nice watches, nice saxophones, nice guns, etc. A luxury horn case? Not for me. DAVE

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I think case preference is a generational thing. I grew up playing saxophone in the 50's and 60's and still prefer the classy "wooden box case" over the molded plastic or "gig bag" style. If taking your nice case out on gigs makes you fear you sax might get stolen, that's easy. Buy a cheap Bundy case to use for those occasions. :) The one exception for me is the lightweight fabric covered Cannonball bari sax case. They are quite expensive, but you can lift the case with one finger. It really makes a difference for an old codger like myself who has to haul a low A bari to rehearsals and gigs and back.

[video]http://www.cannonballmusic.com/cases.php[/video]

1 - 20 of 89 Posts