Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought this tenor saxophone, and i have been searching online for information of this horn. However i cannot find anything about an E. Beuagnier "King" Tenor sax.
I found on doctorsax mention of an alto sax in the "King" series but not the tenor.
The serial number on the sax is: 4463.
It is silver plated and looks a lot like the tenor in the "Special Perfect".
Is it a fake fabrication?
20161004_212545.jpg
20161004_212604.jpg
20161004_212617.jpg
REZ.jpg

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
Why would you think it fake ? It is engraved Beaugnier and it has the physical details of a Beaugnier. It's the real thing. A pretty early one based upon what I can see of the pinky table.

"King" may have just been a stencil name, oftentimes the name of an instrument distributor. No relation to King/HN White was likely intended.

Cool horn...interesting find ! I bet when up and running it'll play like a beast....is it Silver ?....or Nickel, however ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply.
I let a saxophone technitian go through with a full repair and the sax is truly amazing to play, to both growl with and play classical. I do however not know if it is silver or nickel. Are the Beaugner saxes known for anything or are they just "another" sax company?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,046 Posts
Beaugnier was one of the many makers, but a very important one, in Mantes la Ville, de epicenter of the saxophone industry in France. They were the makers of many saxophones also under different names.

Read this article on SOTW

http://www.saxontheweb.net/Learning/vito.html

“...Leblanc owned the Beaugnier Saxophone Company of Mantes. They manufactured the complete family of saxes but their production was very, very small. Their factory was located across the street from the Selmer factory in Mantes. Mr. Beaugnier made wonderful instruments, but unfortunately their cost of production was so high that eventually Mr. Leblanc closed the plant. We still have all the tooling, but labor costs would be too high..."

here you find a serial number registry and a few of the names they were stenciled for. From the pictures your sax appears(to me) to be silver plated.

http://www.doctorsax.biz/beaugnier_ser_nos.htm

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,046 Posts
Not common, surely with the full pearl arrangement, but not particularly rare without, but despite being desirable and uncommon this doesn’t necessarily translate into valuable.

So, yes, a very nice find, interesting and a good player but there is not a “ rarity” premium for this and many other horns out there. Enjoy.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi Asraf. Compare your sax to the Brilhart tenor currently on eBay...I think you'll see many similarities. I find it interesting that Arnold Brilhart went to Beaugnier when he wanted a Brilhart-branded tenor made. Of course, I am a fan of the Beaugniers...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
Me too.....

Asraf, as Milandro says...not rare, but highly regarded. Someone on line once wrote of Beaugnier - "the best saxophone maker you've never heard of".

Pretty apt, I'd say. They have their loyal following. Yours is a very nice example. Enjoy.

·
Registered
577 Posts
There is quite a bit of discussion on the forum if you search Beaugnier.
Not particularly rare or valuable... unless stencilled for Mr Brillhart apparently :whistle:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts