Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spotted these two at a auction house , they are marked up only as a Selmer serial number 34602 and a selmer serial 37530 but no further information or pictures.

I am unable to get to the sale before it ends so is it worth a " punt " on just the pictures or is too much of a risk

Any idea of the models or value.

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,906 Posts
If you have no idea of what models they are or their values, you should not even be considering bidding on them regardless of their condition.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
Top pic is a BA-I think Paul Desmond played one-beautiful players wish I'd still got mine!-just noticed the detachable bell.....
Bottom pic either a SBA or Mk V1-plenty of Selmer experts on here to confirm -or not!

·
12,711 Posts
Figure a full overhaul into what you spend if you venture to gamble.

If they are good and only need some work you win. But assume you will be rebuilding them.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,444 Posts
I wouldn't want to go higher than about $1200 each because like the man said, you need to figure around $1100 each for the overhaul. That comes for $2300 each for a couple of BA or SA horns.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Top pic is a BA-I think Paul Desmond played one-beautiful players wish I'd still got mine!-just noticed the detachable bell.....
Bottom pic either a SBA or Mk V1-plenty of Selmer experts on here to confirm -or not!
Pre-MVI serial numbers. Maybe go $1500, budget $750 each to rebuild, pick the best one, and sell the other to pay for both. You might even do well on the bronchial lozenges. Ebay can find a buyer for anything.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I spotted these two as well. I don’t expect them to sell cheap as the sale-room auctions never do - it is the largest traditional auction online bidding website. Also you need to factor in the buyers fees and VAT on top of the final auction hammer price and shipping costs. I’ve almost bid on two auctions in the past but in both cases the price went high very quickly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
I spotted these two as well. I don’t expect them to sell cheap as the sale-room auctions never do - it is the largest traditional auction online bidding website. Also you need to factor in the buyers fees and VAT on top of the final auction hammer price and shipping costs. I’ve almost bid on two auctions in the past but in both cases the price went high very quickly.
Like the man said...and he knows!

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
I wouldn't want to go higher than about $1200 each because like the man said, you need to figure around $1100 each for the overhaul. That comes for $2300 each for a couple of BA or SA horns.
You’ve got to be kidding. Original lacquer SBA tenors go in the 8K and up range. Altos 5K and up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone for taking the time out to respond .

Fully understand about the fees involved when bidding ( they run to around 30% with online fees ) , I deal in guitars part time and from past experience there is normally a reason they are in auction - with guitars its unoriginal parts - broken truss rods - warped necks not many are from deceased estates as the families normally cherry pick the best items .

It maybe worth a trip out to the auction as I only live around 1hr away ( I am in Birmingham ) but need to book time off work . They are currently on £360 - £1600 ( not inclusive of fees ) .

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Just spotted these two at a auction house , they are marked up only as a Selmer serial number 34602 and a selmer serial 37530 but no further information or pictures.

I am unable to get to the sale before it ends so is it worth a " punt " on just the pictures or is too much of a risk

Any idea of the models or value.

Thanks
Did you get to the auction mustar? I just checked and the alto sold for £2200 (GBP) and the tenor £4000 (GBP) + the fees.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry for the delay , sadly didn't get either . As always the auction suckered me in with the low estimates.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,444 Posts
You’ve got to be kidding. Original lacquer SBA tenors go in the 8K and up range. Altos 5K and up.
Sure, for a sax in working condition with some kind of history. Two worn out junkers needing mechanical restoration? I don't think so. Plus, how do you know the 'lacquer', or what little is remaining, is original? I'd guess they both have been buffed and re-lacquered at least twice, and you can clearly see the tenor is pretty bent in the main tube- and, they may or may not have necks. so if anybody paid more than $2500 each they probably will have to spend another $5K on putting them right, maybe including necks, and of course you can't by back the brass lost to the buffing wheel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts