Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
Selmer Tenor Reference 54, Cannonball Soprano Big Bell
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts about these subscriptions? Which one is better to read in your leisure time?

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,950 Posts
I'm just responding to say that I'm surprised to learn that either of these (both, in fact) is still available as a physical (paper) magazine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've subscribed to Downbeat for probably five or six years. I love it; I always open to the Blindfold Test, then move to the record reviews, then read the rest of the magazine. It's totally worth the subscription price (and honestly, that tactile nature of the paper magazine is way better than the PDF that they also send every month).

I haven't spent much time with JazzTimes, so I don't have any thoughts on it.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I've been a Jazz Times subscribers for years.
I chose JazzTimes, because at the time Downbeat reviewers appeared to be a lot older.
But I don't think that is the case anymore.
I don't know what Downbeat is like anymore, but Jazztimes has become a lot slimmer than in the past.
I think the articles are a little shorter. They review maybe half the albums they used to in the past. But on the plus side, Ethan Iverson, formerly of the Bad Plus, writes for Jazztimes.
FYI, Jazztimes do not give stars for album reviews, you have to read the review, but that is not a negative for me.

That being said, I recommend the podcast Jazz United with nate chinen and greg bryant. I would follow Nate Chinen on twitter and he'll lead you to good music, up and coming musicians, and articles he writes for various newspapers and magazines. He recently wrote about Keith Jarrett's stroke and likely forced retirement from performance on the NY Times.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I've subscribed to Downbeat for probably five or six years. I love it; I always open to the Blindfold Test, then move to the record reviews, then read the rest of the magazine. It's totally worth the subscription price (and honestly, that tactile nature of the paper magazine is way better than the PDF that they also send every month).

JazzTimes also has a Blindfold test section.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm just responding to say that I'm surprised to learn that either of these (both, in fact) is still available as a physical (paper) magazine.

I haven't spent much time with JazzTimes,

Same here, I prefer the printed version for the same reason. I’ll do my part to prevent those magazines to be out of business by subscribing. Cheerio!

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been a Jazz Times subscribers for years.
I chose JazzTimes, because at the time Downbeat reviewers appeared to be a lot older.
But I don't think that is the case anymore.
I don't know what Downbeat is like anymore, but Jazztimes has become a lot slimmer than in the past.
I think the articles are a little shorter. They review maybe half the albums they used to in the past. But on the plus side, Ethan Iverson, formerly of the Bad Plus, writes for Jazztimes.
FYI, Jazztimes do not give stars for album reviews, you have to read the review, but that is not a negative for me.

That being said, I recommend the podcast Jazz United with nate chinen and greg bryant. I would follow Nate Chinen on twitter and he'll lead you to good music, up and coming musicians, and articles he writes for various newspapers and magazines. He recently wrote about Keith Jarrett's stroke and likely forced retirement from performance on the NY Times.
I’ll check that podcast! Thanks for the advice ;)

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
I also can't provide any comparison, but I have subscribed to Downbeat for quite a few years (more than 12 if I had to guess) and I do still read it and look forward to getting it. The reviews are good, I often come across recordings I didn't know about and I have gotten to know the biases of the main reviewers so I know which biases align with my own. I do tend to read the blindfold test first, mainly because it's a quick read and I do find it entertaining. Of course nobody does a blindfold test like Miles Miles' Blindfold test 1964

There is always a transcription and there have been some that were very interesting, but I usually find that they are over my head (which isn't a very high level I would admit).

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I subscribed to Downbeat for about a decade back in the 80s. I loved it. Not only were the reviews and interviews great, but they always had some useful tips or transcriptions in the back. Good nuts and bolts stuff for musicians.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I've been a Jazz Times subscriber for close to 30 years, I used to get Downbeat way back when, but stopped because they started covering other genres of music I was not interested in. Downbeat has the "Blindfold Test", while Jazz Times has the "Before and After". I believe the "Blindfold Test" first originated in the music magazine called Metronome (yeah, I'm old) and it was started by Leonard Feather.

·
Registered
S: SA II. A+T: Martin HC1 T: Mark VI A:39 King Zephyr B: Martin HC imperial
202 Posts
back when i was really into Jazz in my youth in the mid 80s, I would pick up a copy regularly at the newsstand. Then life got busy I stopped playing the sax regularly and lost interest in Jazz.

when all of the current craziness started I started get back into Jazz and decide that I would look and see if DownBeat was still around. Sure enough it was. And I pulled the trigger on it. To my surprise little had changed in the quality of the magazine.

most magazines like Time, Forbes, etc have cut back so much that they would be better described as newsletters than magazines.

not downbeat. Quality from my perspective remains the same. They send me the magazine every month. They also send me the electronic version as well.

I think in the end if we do not subscribe to publications like Downbeat and Jazztimes then they will not be here soon.

As such, if you can afford it subscribe to BOTH!

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I subscribed to DownBeat for many years. Now I've been reading JazzTimes regularly through Apple's News+ for a couple years. I enjoy both magazines very much.

Indeed a hard choice if you have to pick one. I chose JazzTimes just because it's in News+ which includes hundreds of other magazines as well.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been a Jazz Times subscriber for close to 30 years, I used to get Downbeat way back when, but stopped because they started covering other genres of music I was not interested in. Downbeat has the "Blindfold Test", while Jazz Times has the "Before and After". I believe the "Blindfold Test" first originated in the music magazine called Metronome (yeah, I'm old) and it was started by Leonard Feather.
[/QUOT
back when i was really into Jazz in my youth in the mid 80s, I would pick up a copy regularly at the newsstand. Then life got busy I stopped playing the sax regularly and lost interest in Jazz.

when all of the current craziness started I started get back into Jazz and decide that I would look and see if DownBeat was still around. Sure enough it was. And I pulled the trigger on it. To my surprise little had changed in the quality of the magazine.

most magazines like Time, Forbes, etc have cut back so much that they would be better described as newsletters than magazines.

not downbeat. Quality from my perspective remains the same. They send me the magazine every month. They also send me the electronic version as well.

I think in the end if we do not subscribe to publications like Downbeat and Jazztimes then they will not be here soon.

As such, if you can afford it subscribe to BOTH!
i just subscribed to Dowbeat… and I’m really enjoying it 😃

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
I subscribed to Downbeat for many many years, but as others have noted, they went to a general music format, rather than just jazz. I especially liked the Caught in the Act feature, which for reasons I never understood they discontinued. Blindfold test was fun, because we got to hear from actual musicians, instead of music critics. I found the articles in Downbeat to be shallow and transparent. They'd do a feature on, say, Sonny Rollins, and give him two or three lines to speak only, featuring their writer instead of the musician. That really galled me. Why not just interview the musician? Who needs the spin?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts