Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Christmas present to myself was a Fibereed Carbon MS from HH. Lower & upper registers exceedingly bright to the point of pain. Middle DEAD. On a Martin Freres alto mpc, which plays beautifully with Legeres. IMO save ur $$

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,191 Posts
I guess you paid for an education. Bummer. What's a Carbon reed cost?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
Been there. Done that. I use it for a very expensive contact cement spreader.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
I sprung for carbon fiber reeds in a full spread years ago.

That is, I got a medium strength reed in different makes (color coded, as I remember).

Tenor and baritone (kind of an expensive experiment, really).

I could make them play loud and shrill like nobody's business. That was easy.

Fat, warm, ppp, rounded, dark, more fundamentals in the range of the horn ---- lots more work and never fully successful.

I thought perhaps they would be good for getting more projection out of a darker, low baffle mpc.

I thought they might be good for playing outdoors.

I thought they might be good for something.

But they were no good for me.

If I cared nothing for tone and wanted to be heard a long way off, especially outdoors, I would slap on one of those all white carbon fiber reeds, pretty stiff one, and apply it to a Metalite or a Lakey. By golly, they would know something was coming at them then! Grown men would weep and small children would hide. Dogs bite masters. Cats explode spontaneously. My wife tells me to knock it off and asks me what happened to my horn.

All of the reeds were well made, and just right for someone, I would guess. Moreover, I am sure that with enough time and effort I could figure out how to make them do what I want them to do. But I got reeds I like and I am too lazy to put in the effort.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
I am a lazy guy and I enjoy playing.

So if gear makes me work too hard to get it to do what I want,

I just go with what already works and makes me happy.

Domestic harmony is beyond price.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
...the question is then, who is continuing to buy these seemingly useless items!?

I can't get past the 'acceptable' sound of Legere Signatures...which are pretty good (though slippery!!)...to make it a permanent thing.

.. Can't imagine these nasty sounding / behaving synths!

And it IS tempting to be able to skip ALL of that 'stuff' to deal with with cane...but can't seem to quite do it.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
...the question is then, who is continuing to buy these seemingly useless items!?

I can't get past the 'acceptable' sound of Legere Signatures...which are pretty good (though slippery!!)...to make it a permanent thing.

.. Can't imagine these nasty sounding / behaving synths!

And it IS tempting to be able to skip ALL of that 'stuff' to deal with with cane...but can't seem to quite do it.
Dunno. Maybe some people enjoy sounding like a kazoo. ;-)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Funny story.....Only reed I have never been able to play comes from dark blue Vandoren boxes. Even the good ones don’t last for me more than a couple of hours. I consider them a complete waste of money.....but most think Vandoren is the best.....go figure!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Funny story.....Only reed I have never been able to play comes from dark blue Vandoren boxes. Even the good ones don’t last for me more than a couple of hours. I consider them a complete waste of money.....but most think Vandoren is the best.....go figure!
I don't dig Blue Box either
What is your current favorite reed ? (as I am searching around for reeds myself)
Thanks

·
Registered
411 Posts
I’m using Legere signature right now. Each one seems to last a few months (practicing and performance). In the world of cane, I have seen the best value in Rico Orange Box....when I rotate through 4 of them, they seem to last a while. I’m not a fan of Rico Jazz Select either.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,620 Posts
I recently joined a sax ensemble and the leader said I had a wonderful sound and asked about my setup. Old Martin sax, old Link STM, old Hartmann MS carbon fiber reed, although the reed is decades newer than the sax and mouthpiece. My reed is only at least 3, maybe 4, years old. I used Fibracell before that. The baritone player was using the HH carbon, so we weren't outnumbered by the "wood" users. Sometimes cane/synth discussions turns into the Jets and the Sharks.

I've bought other synthetic reeds before and since, but the HH carbon fiber is the one that matches up best with most of my mouthpieces. It might be too bright with a newer high baffle or small chamber mouthpiece, but for the vintage mouthpieces that I like it adds just the right amount of buzz. For me it's the best of both worlds. "Dull" old mouthpieces are cheap. "Bright" synthetic reeds are cheap. Even though the reed has cost me a little over 2 cents per day (so far), it is still far cheaper than what I was paying for cane reeds. I don't advocate that everyone should use HH carbon. I'm just glad that they work for me.

I just bought a HH carbon onyx for comparison. I have yet to try it on all of my mouthpieces. Cost is 30% less and they have slightly less buzz (for me). Still great (for me).

Mark

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I’m using Legere signature right now. Each one seems to last a few months (practicing and performance). In the world of cane, I have seen the best value in Rico Orange Box....when I rotate through 4 of them, they seem to last a while. I’m not a fan of Rico Jazz Select either.
(Is it me, or is splitting the most likely way for a Rico d'Darrio reed to fail? I never remember reeds routinely splitting at the tip...in the past year I've had many RJS split at the tip...?!)

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2016
13,521 Posts
Sounds like my experience with G reeds.
Horrible things.
At least they weren’t too expensive.
Won’t go there again.
I agree they were/are the worst reeds on the planet, and they weren't that cheap. We live and learn!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts