Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this youtube clip from 1933. Cora LaRedd Gets Jiggy. She's got some mighty cool eye movements. Then, when she starts tapping, you can see a HUGE saxophone behind her. It may have been a prop. I do remember reading about some jumbo-sized saxes that companies built as promotion. Some of them were playable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODvJ4syBl-s&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Check out this youtube clip from 1933. Cora LaRedd Gets Jiggy. She's got some mighty cool eye movements. Then, when she starts tapping, you can see a HUGE saxophone behind her. It may have been a prop. I do remember reading about some jumbo-sized saxes that companies built as promotion. Some of them were playable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODvJ4syBl-s&feature=youtu.be
Never mind the huge prop sax. Who the heck is Cora LaRedd (she's really cute!) Who's the band? What's with the cowboy hats? What's up with the violins? Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,310 Posts
Wow - I haven't heard of Cora LaRedd before, but she sure can dance! Love those facial expressions too!

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
You wouldn't know of her because she probably was only known on the "Negro" vaudeville circuit and on "Race" records and short films. If you stop the video right on the two characters at the end you'll see that the man on the left is a white guy in blackface. That says it all about the nature of the exposure that this group most likely had and didn't have. Fantastic performers whose talents and lives were limited and often destroyed by the virulent racism of those years. Sadly, as current events show, while the former may have changed quite a lot the latter has not.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never mind the huge prop sax. Who the heck is Cora LaRedd (she's really cute!) Who's the band? What's with the cowboy hats? What's up with the violins? Inquiring minds want to know!
The band is the Noble Sissle orchestra. He was a famous musician of the era. Violins were very popular and included in most musical groups before the Swing era. I can’t explain the cowboy hats other than to say it was probably their uniform.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts